cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backing up Virtual Servers with Backup Exec 10d or 12

chris48
Level 4
Partner

We have several virtual servers running on Microsoft Virtual Server 2005 R2 and Backup Exec 10d running most of our backups from a physical server (using the CASO setup).  We will be moving eventually to Backup Exec 2010 and have our virtual servers running on HyperV, but in the meantime I want to know if anyone can help with regards to backing up live virtual servers on our current set up.

We also have one server running Backup Exec 12 so I don't know if this provides me with a better option to backup exec 10d.  We don't have the virtual server agent, but I don't think that is available until Backup Exec 12.5?!?

I have read the following article:

http://redmondmag.com/articles/2007/10/31/backing-up-live-virtual-server-vms.aspx

and want to know if I need to be implementing this solution using a vbscript, or if Backup Exec 10d actually supports VS Writer?  I have noted the articles following point:

• "Use backup software that supports VS Writer (note that support for shadow copies does not guarantee support for VS Writer)."

Any help would be greatly appreciated as we currently back the virtual servers up as we would physical servers and have IDR CDs for them in case of the need for a total system restore.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Not a problem Chris...if it helped at all, can you please close the query off by marking the solution?

Laters!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

CraigV

Hi Chris,

BE 10d is so old, it probably doesn't do adequate support for VM backups. You would only be able to backup the data inside of them. I did a quick check, and I can't even find a Software COmpatibility List for that.

BE 12 isn't much better I am afraid.

If you really need to backup those VMs, and depending on your time frame to move to BE 2010 R2, you can purchase the licenses for 2010 R2, and then ask to downgrade them to BE 12.5. This would not be as big an upgrade path, plus it will give you the chance to back up your servers. BE 12.5 uses the VCB, which was replaced by the vStorage API in 2010!

So...the question is: when will you be moving to your new environment? If a couple of weeks, consider a temporary solution, and TEST your restores BEFORE cutting over.

If a couple of months, it might still be worth your while to migrate.

Laters!

chris48
Level 4
Partner

Thanks Craig - unfortunately it may be longer than a couple of months (possibly 2-6).  I will need to work on that, but money is short from mgt point of view sadly!

I wanted to back up the flat files of the virtual servers without having to switch them off first, but it seems I may have to use the vbscript as described in the article until we upgrade to at least v12.5 - I don't plan on this as when / if we get the go ahead to move to a more recent version, I will get them to go for 2010 and start from there.

I'm assuming / believe the Advanced Open File Option in v12 is no good for this?  Am I correct?

CraigV

Hi Chris,

It won't be, sorry. You can see it as any other application that needs an agent, like SQL, Lotus Notes or Exchange. Although they have flat files, they're constantly in use. The agent unlocks the functionality to back them up.

AOFO IS used for open files, but these files are locked by their applications. So Hyper-V/ESX won't allow the flat files to be backed up, and I doubt that virtual Server 2005 would allow that either.

Sorry I couldn't be of any help to get you out the fix.

If this has helped, would you mind closing the query?

Laters!

chris48
Level 4
Partner

Craig,

Sorry for the delay in replying.  Thanks for your advice, it's been really helpful.  I'm going to try and implement the VBScript for now and then hopefully move on to Backup Exec 2010 to get around this issue.

I think it's about time to move forward with the times, but it's a bit pricey so we are currently looking at streamlining the infrastructure and whole process first!

Thanks again :)

CraigV

Not a problem Chris...if it helped at all, can you please close the query off by marking the solution?

Laters!