cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backing up to a local and remote NAS device

AlexNtowGH
Level 4
Partner

My customer wants to back up an SQL Database on windows to 2 different NAS drives.

The remote NAS is connected to their environment by a 2 MB Pipe and will be visible to the BE server as if it were a local Storage

Should one create seperate Jobs for backup to local and remote NAS?

How is this situation best handeld?

Will the deduplication license option be relevant in this scenario?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified

You can either create two jobs with each job targeting each device or do a backup to the local disk and then duplicate the backup across to the remote device.

If you have two media servers with dedup on both ends, then the duplication across the link would be more efficient.  Only the new or changed data blocks would sent across the link.  For this setup, you would also need CASO which is part of the ESO licence (extra)

A 2MB link is quite paltry.  You got to test whether the link can support whatever setup you want to use.  First, calculate whether the backup set can be sent over the link in a reasonable amount of time.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

pkh
   VIP    Certified

You can either create two jobs with each job targeting each device or do a backup to the local disk and then duplicate the backup across to the remote device.

If you have two media servers with dedup on both ends, then the duplication across the link would be more efficient.  Only the new or changed data blocks would sent across the link.  For this setup, you would also need CASO which is part of the ESO licence (extra)

A 2MB link is quite paltry.  You got to test whether the link can support whatever setup you want to use.  First, calculate whether the backup set can be sent over the link in a reasonable amount of time.

AlexNtowGH
Level 4
Partner

Thanks for your answer, the option of creating 2 Jobs seems more atractive for my customer currently. In this scenario, I guess i can run incrementatal or Differential backup after the first full backup on both Local and remove device?

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Yes.