cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backing up to external USB hard disk, rotating between 2 of them?

Kremlar
Level 4
Partner
Running 12.5.  I'm fairly new to Backup-To-Disk Folders.  I currently backup from several servers to a single network share.  Each server has 6 Backup-To-Disk Folders on that share (1 for each day of the week).  I have 6 backup jobs that run (once per day) on each server.  This gives me the ability to go back several days in case I need to restore, which is fine.  This has been working great for weeks.

HOWEVER, I'd also like to backup to an external USB hard disk that I can stash away from the servers, just in case.  I'd like to backup to this drive once per week (the 7th day).  Ideally I'd like to rotate between 2 drives and have BackupExec blindly backup to whichever one is currently plugged in (in case I forget to switch).

I thought I could do this by duplicating the drive letter, folders and shares on this new drive.  I forced Windows into assign either drive the same drive letter, created identical folders and shares on both drives.  Everything worked great on the first drive for several weeks, but once I switched to the second drive it crapped out.    BackupExec would hang during the verify, it would report that the drive was full (even though it was not), etc.

Is this even possible?  If so, can someone point me in the right direction?  Or maybe a viable alternative?

Thanks!
0 REPLIES 0