Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup 2 Disk question - newbie

niko
Level 3
Partner
Hi -

Im using Bexec 2010, with Backup to a NAS (Disk folder). 

I have setup a backup plan where I want to keep data in a month before it is overwritten again.
I have setup weekly full backups (Friday 1-2-3-4) and daily incrementals.

So far so good.

But Im not sure how to configure the backups so that when a month is finished it starts all over again and overwrites old data with new ?
Like limit revisions to a month so that my NAS dont get full.

Any help would be great.

Thanx.

Kind r

Bjørn.  
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

tech29
Level 6
Hi,

When we set the overwrite protection period for say 4 weeks we are actually protecting the backup files created by the backup job from getting overwritten for 4 weeks.

so lets say, we backup some 100 GB of data on friday 1, then this data cannot be overwritten by any other job for 4 weeks. because the OPP set to this media set is 4 weeks. so after 4 weeks this 100 GB of data becomes 'overwritable' i.e. this data can now be overwritten by any overwritable job.

so  you have to consider, how much data you will be backing up on a weekly basis, what is the capacity of the tapes and accordingly you have to set the Overwrite protection period.

so lets say, the size of the tape which you are using for the weekly job is 80 GB and every week you backup around 40 GB.

so on friday 1 , we have 40 GB on the tape, on friday 2 we will have another 40 GB i.e. 80 GB in total, so the tape is full now, the only option to write information on this tape now is to overwrite the data on the tape, but in this case, the data cannot be overwritten because the overwrite protection period has been set for 4 weeks.  so none of the backup job will be able to overwrite this tape for 4 weeks, after 4 weeks i.e. once OPP is over, this tape becomes overwritable.

Append period means, for how many days, weeks, moths, years, we can append to this tape.  

let me know if you still have any queries.

Regards,
tech29

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

tech29
Level 6
You need to create a media set and set the OPP (Overwrite protection period) and set  this value to 1 month as you want the data to be overwritten after 1 month and then in the job configuration you have to select this particular media set. 

You may find the following links helpful:

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/341651.htm

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/266377.htm

Regards,
tech29

Please mark as solution if this resolves your issue.

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

1. Configure media set as per instruction from tech29
2. Create a backup job and set it to Overwrite media and make sure correct media set is selected
3. Go to tools --Option -- media mangement  Make sure overwtir recycleable media first before overwriting the scratch media is selected
as if the other option to overwrite scratch media is selected then it would keep on creatin new b2d files untill the dis is full .

tech29
Level 6
Hi,

Any update here?

Regards,
tech29

niko
Level 3
Partner
Hi  -

Still a bit confused here about the media options.

If I set the overwrite protection to 4 weeks for the weekly full backup job, what happens then when Friday1 run - ok - then Friday2 run a week later - this should then fail as the media set "weekly full backups" is overwrite protected (4 weeks) ? Is this correct or Im just misunderstand?

And also the append period option, what should this be ?

Thank you very much for your answers.

Kind r

Bjørn.

tech29
Level 6
Hi,

When we set the overwrite protection period for say 4 weeks we are actually protecting the backup files created by the backup job from getting overwritten for 4 weeks.

so lets say, we backup some 100 GB of data on friday 1, then this data cannot be overwritten by any other job for 4 weeks. because the OPP set to this media set is 4 weeks. so after 4 weeks this 100 GB of data becomes 'overwritable' i.e. this data can now be overwritten by any overwritable job.

so  you have to consider, how much data you will be backing up on a weekly basis, what is the capacity of the tapes and accordingly you have to set the Overwrite protection period.

so lets say, the size of the tape which you are using for the weekly job is 80 GB and every week you backup around 40 GB.

so on friday 1 , we have 40 GB on the tape, on friday 2 we will have another 40 GB i.e. 80 GB in total, so the tape is full now, the only option to write information on this tape now is to overwrite the data on the tape, but in this case, the data cannot be overwritten because the overwrite protection period has been set for 4 weeks.  so none of the backup job will be able to overwrite this tape for 4 weeks, after 4 weeks i.e. once OPP is over, this tape becomes overwritable.

Append period means, for how many days, weeks, moths, years, we can append to this tape.  

let me know if you still have any queries.

Regards,
tech29

niko
Level 3
Partner
Hi -

Ok, now I understand. Really great explanation here.

Thank you very much again all!

Kind r

Bjørn.

niko
Level 3
Partner
Just to add, I guess it then would be a good idea to have a own media set for the weekly full jobs, and a own media set for daily incrementals. Keep the jobs separate?

tech29
Level 6
hey no problem,  "Help others and GOD will help you"  Have a nice weekend.

Regards,
Tech29

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Depends on how you want to manage your backups.

The places I've worked have mostly used a Modified GFS scheme

We ran Daily DIFFs Mon- Thur with a 6 day retention 

and Fulls on Friday  with a 27 day retention (Duplicated to tape for off-site storage

The Friday after Monthly closing (whenever that was) I manually duplicated the Friday full to the Monthly set ,on tape, with 13 month retention,

And the final Monthly of the Fiscal year was duplicated to the Yearly set, again on tape, with permanent retention

Also, to expand a little on the explaination in the previous post.  APP is set when the first backup set is opened and never changes.  OPP  is set when the latest media in the set is closed, so it changes with each append job