cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup 8.5 Restore Problem

DanR
Level 2
Hello All,
I have backup exec 8.5 build 3571 on my oldest server and I need to restore a file.  When I go to Restore, the window shows nothing to select from.  My question: how do I get the file from the tape?  or how do I upgrade to a version that will work?  I have 10.0, but I am not sure of the path I need to take so that I don't loose any data.

thanks,
Dan
5 REPLIES 5

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
First thing to try

Stop all the BackupExec services, then delete the BETOPCAT.IDX file in the \Catalogs directory, the restart the services

If nothing shows after that, shut down the services and rename the catalogs folder (to \Catgalogs.Sav for example) and restart  the services

Then inventory and catalog the tapes that you want to restore from

DanR
Level 2
thanks Ken, that worked!

What about upgrading to a newer version such as Ver 10?  I have already installed the program but it doesn't appear to have over-written the old version.  Can I do that without loosing any of the old backups?

thanks again,
Dan

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
What deleting the BETOPCAT file would do was to force BackupExec to re-index the catalog files

I'm not sure what you mean by 

have already installed the program but it doesn't appear to have over-written the old version. 

DanR
Level 2
sorry, I installed version 10, but version 8.5 is the only one that seems to be there.  I want to make sure that I don't do anything that will cause a loss of data.

my question was, can I install version 10 over top of version 8.5 and still retain the backup data?

thanks

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Hmmm

(I would think that you can install v10 over v8.x)