cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Completed with Exceptions -- SharePoint Server Farm Components

RescueMe
Level 3

On an SBS 2011 machine, we have created both a "Server Farm" backup to backup the SharePoint Resources and another backup to backup everything else.

Despite having completely unselected "Microsoft SharePoint Resources" from the second backup, we are receiving exceptions regarding various SharePoint components.  The specific error logs follow:

Backup- \\WIN2K11.mydomain.local\C:V-79-57344-33925 - Error: SharePoint_AdminContent_b7d1f15d-5269-488c-8c2d-0a4c685b9137.mdf is a component of a SharePoint server farm. It must be backed up using the Backup Exec Agent for Microsoft SharePoint Portal Server. Select it for backup from the Microsoft Server SharePoint Server Farms node.

V-79-57344-33925 - Error: SharePoint_AdminContent_b7d1f15d-5269-488c-8c2d-0a4c685b9137_log.LDF is a component of a SharePoint server farm. It must be backed up using the Backup Exec Agent for Microsoft SharePoint Portal Server. Select it for backup from the Microsoft Server SharePoint Server Farms node.

V-79-57344-33925 - Error: SharePoint_ConfigurationDatabase.mdf is a component of a SharePoint server farm. It must be backed up using the Backup Exec Agent for Microsoft SharePoint Portal Server. Select it for backup from the Microsoft Server SharePoint Server Farms node.

V-79-57344-33925 - Error: SharePoint_ConfigurationDatabase_log.LDF is a component of a SharePoint server farm. It must be backed up using the Backup Exec Agent for Microsoft SharePoint Portal Server. Select it for backup from the Microsoft Server SharePoint Server Farms node.

V-79-57344-33925 - Error: ShareWebDb.mdf is a component of a SharePoint server farm. It must be backed up using the Backup Exec Agent for Microsoft SharePoint Portal Server. Select it for backup from the Microsoft Server SharePoint Server Farms node.

V-79-57344-33925 - Error: ShareWebDb_log.LDF is a component of a SharePoint server farm. It must be backed up using the Backup Exec Agent for Microsoft SharePoint Portal Server. Select it for backup from the Microsoft Server SharePoint Server Farms node.

V-79-57344-33925 - Error: WSS_Search_WIN2K11.mdf is a component of a SharePoint server farm. It must be backed up using the Backup Exec Agent for Microsoft SharePoint Portal Server. Select it for backup from the Microsoft Server SharePoint Server Farms node.

V-79-57344-33925 - Error: WSS_Search_WIN2K11_log.LDF is a component of a SharePoint server farm. It must be backed up using the Backup Exec Agent for Microsoft SharePoint Portal Server. Select it for backup from the Microsoft Server SharePoint Server Farms node.

I have performed some quick searches and it looks like other users are having similar issues.  But, I have seen no resolutions.  Can anyone provide some insight into what needs to be changed to avoid these exceptions?

Thanks,

Vincent

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

For the second backup job, try putting in an exclusion for the Data folder...the path is something similar to \Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL$SharePoint\Data

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

SuperBrain
Employee Accredited

Did your SharePoint Server Farm backup job complete successfully?

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH161674 mentions :

1. Backup the Microsoft SharePoint Server resources at least once.
2. Once the SharePoint resources are backed up successfully, backup jobs without the SharePoint resources selected should no longer report any exceptions.

RescueMe
Level 3

Bhavik,

The Server Farm backup has completed several times successfully.  However, the other backup job is still reporting exceptions.

Thanks,

Vincent

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

For the second backup job, try putting in an exclusion for the Data folder...the path is something similar to \Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL$SharePoint\Data

SuperBrain
Employee Accredited

Well.. in that case the other job must be attempting to backup SharePoint databses flat files (mdf, ldf, etc), make sure you have excluded those files from the backup job.

RescueMe
Level 3

VJware,

Yes, I see the files at the following path:

C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL10_50.SHAREPOINT\MSSQL\DATA

I am excluding that folder and will retry the backup.  I will post the outcome.

Thanks,

Vincent

RescueMe
Level 3

This worked.

Thanks!

massimiliano_2
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Hello guys,

thank you for your replies to this topic.

I am in the same situation and I understand that two separate jobs must be created in order to successfully backup both SharePoint Resources and everything else.

Out of curiosity I am just wondering if in this scenario it would be preferable to have two separate schedules for each job or to Use BEMCLI to chain jobs.

Thanks and Regards,

Massimiliano

David_Palmersto
Level 4

Massimiliano -

Theoretically there could be a change in the underlying O/S that might effect the stability and/or running of Sharepoint between backing up the Farm and backing up the underlying O/S..

In practice, that environment should be tightly guarded against untested changes, especially ones that might occur between 'normal' backups and chaining should NOT be necessary.

I don't chain our jobs because the SharePoint environment is much more volatile than the O/S and I can much more easily rebuild the O/S quickly....  I want that SharePoint backup to be the best it can be...

I'll be interested to see what others have to say on this...

David W Palmerston

Peter_Sheridan
Level 6

Why is it that backup exec doesn't remove the exceptions when the individual .mdf and .log files are selected, but does when the ENTIRE folder containing those files are.

I am having the same issue atm with an SBS2008 Server where if I manually unselect the .mdf/.log files through the selection list it doesn't work but when i unselect the whole folder it does. ATM there are a few other files in that folder that arn't Sharepoint related so I can't exclude the Entire folder.

Any thoughts?