Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Concept for 1 Server and 4 Clients

TorstenK
Level 3
Partner

Hi,

one of our customers would like to backup and restore the following:

1x Server  --> Windows 2008 R2  (will be Mediaserver with internal LTO-6 SAS Drive)

1x Client --> Windows 7 Professional with an SQL Server

3x Client --> Windows 7 Professional

I thought of Symantec Backup EXEC 2014 Small Business Edition for the Server and 4x Symantec System Recovery 2013 Desktop Edition with SQL Server backing up its database with its internal backup function.

Is that the correct licensing if the customer wants to manage all backupjobs in one management console.

Two different management consoles would probably cause issues on accessing the internal LTO Drive?

kind regards

Torsten

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified

1 x BE + 3 x AWS + 1 x Agent for Applications and Databases.  The last is to backup the SQL and it comes with an AWS.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

pkh
   VIP    Certified
BE and SSR are two different products and will have different consoles and you cannot share the LTO tape drive amongst them. You should either use BE or SSR, but not both. If you want to use BE then you need a normal BE and not the SB edition because you have too many servers.

TorstenK
Level 3
Partner

1. What about SYMC DESKTOP LAPTOP OPTION 7.6 WIN 1-10 USERS for BE2014 SBS oder only normal BE2014?

2. to prevent 2 consoles accessing the Tape Drive --> Backup with SSR to SMB Share on a NAS and Backup SMB Share with BE to Tape?

kind regards

Torsten

pkh
   VIP    Certified
1. DLO too is a separate product and will have it's own console. DLO is meant to backup user files. It cannot be used for server recovery. It will not be able to backup the SQL on your Win 7 machine. 2. It can be done but do you really want to use such a clumsy solution?

TorstenK
Level 3
Partner

no i don't ^^

i think the sql will do its own backup so i do not need another windows server agent.

if so... what is the solution with _one_ management console to be installed on the Backupserver?

1x SSR Server + 4x SSR Desktop --> same console?

kind regards

Torsten

pkh
   VIP    Certified
SSR does not suport tape

TorstenK
Level 3
Partner

that means...

1x BE Server 2014 (normal Edition) with 4 BE Win Agents 2014?

kind regards

Torsten

pkh
   VIP    Certified

1 x BE + 3 x AWS + 1 x Agent for Applications and Databases.  The last is to backup the SQL and it comes with an AWS.

TorstenK
Level 3
Partner

thx a lot @pkh

that helped a lot.

kind regards

Torsten