cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup DAG Exchange 2013

MSI_iqbal
Level 5
Partner Accredited Certified

I have master server running Backup Exec 2012 SP3 and want to backup exchange 2013 servers MBX01 and MBX02 using DAG. I back it up with preferred server list and backup option "passive copy if not available active copy". But the backup error with cannot find a healthy copy in MBX02. Then i configured to backup just active only and same error happened. After read several technote i decided it is not about credential or name server resolve, so i decided to back it up just via mbx01 by only list mbx01 in preferred server and choose "passive copy if not available active copy". After backup completed with error i see in backup log the Backup Exec still trying to search passive copy in mbx02. For now i make a 2 policy, 1 for backup passive only in mbx01 and another for backup active only in mbx01 and it works. But if my exchange admin not statisfied i will create a case for this.

The point is, why Backup Exec cannot point just 1 server to backup either passive or active for DAG as I can do it in netbackup?

Best regards,

Iqbal

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Ananya_Bhattach
Level 5
Employee Accredited Certified
Please note that Exchange 2013 GRT backups are NOT supported with BE 2012.
Only non GRT backups are supported as of now BE 2012 SP2 onwards.
CU 3 of Exchange 2013 is supported only with BE 2012 SP4. Please refer to the Software Compatibility List for BE 2012 to know more about supportability : http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH175581
Can you check if you are running GRT or non GRT backups? and what is the Cumulative Update level that you are running on Exchange 2013?

Also, GRT backups of Exchange 2013 will be supported with BE 2014 which is the next release of BE.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Siddhant_Saini
Level 6
Accredited Certified

Hello Iqbal,

I've seen issues like ths occuring when a few files associated to the AWS(Agent for Windows Servers) is deleted/quarantined by a security application or is corrupted. 

In either case, could you please uninstall and re-install AWS on both the nodes and the add DAG again to the Backup Exec console? 

As far as the feature of Netbackup is concerned, Backup Exec does have a similar feature called 'Preferred Server Configuration' where you can specify which server takes priority for a backup. Again this feature is more useful when you have more than one passive copies. With the Preferred Servers option, under the Exchange option of your backup properties, if you have selected the option to backup Passive Copy first then you could specify one of the passive nodes for backup under the Preferred Servers option.

Please refer to http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO73411 for more details on Preferred Servers. 

Ananya_Bhattach
Level 5
Employee Accredited Certified
Please note that Exchange 2013 GRT backups are NOT supported with BE 2012.
Only non GRT backups are supported as of now BE 2012 SP2 onwards.
CU 3 of Exchange 2013 is supported only with BE 2012 SP4. Please refer to the Software Compatibility List for BE 2012 to know more about supportability : http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH175581
Can you check if you are running GRT or non GRT backups? and what is the Cumulative Update level that you are running on Exchange 2013?

Also, GRT backups of Exchange 2013 will be supported with BE 2014 which is the next release of BE.

MSI_iqbal
Level 5

Ok Thanks guys, i will post an update after i trying those solutions. 

Just dont expect for immediate action.

Best regards,

Iqbal

Georg_Kabas
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Hi Igbal,

do you tried to backup the cluster instance or do you tried to backup directly from the nodes?

You should not mix the preferred server list with the "active/passive"-copy selection.

Regards, Georg

MSI_iqbal
Level 5

Dear All,

After I updated my BE 2012 to SP4 the backup was running smoothly. Yes, it is because of compability issue, my exchange admin updated exchange to CU3 but didnt notify me. 

Thanks guys,

Best regards,

Iqbal