cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup DFS on Backup Exec 12.5

Karen_Johnson
Level 4

I am backing up DFS on backup exec version 12.5 and it is extremely slow.  I am currently on version 12.5 rev 2213 and I have installed sp4, hotfix 355944, and hotfix 357378.  The tape speed is about 411mb/min, and it is taking over 12 hours to get the information backed up.  I am currently using the the net stop and net start commands to stop DFS, but it is not helping the speed at all.  Are there any suggestions on the best way to backup dfs, and how to speed up the process?  Should I try to backup straight to disk instead of tape?  Any help would be appreciated.

6 REPLIES 6

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Are you backing up DFS by selecting the system state of the server or the DFS folders themselves?  What is the OS of the server that hosts these DFS files?

Karen_Johnson
Level 4

The host server is windows 2003 R2 sp 2.  I have tried system state and I have tried the DFS Folders themselves.  I have tried both senariors.  I appreciate your response to my question.

Mahesh_Roja
Level 6

Just make changes and try once

To get around these issues, I have been using a "legacy" feature of the software and it has been working great for quite awhile.

By default, the software will not let you select the shares to backup. This is the feature we need. To enable it, go to Tools - Options and then go to the Network and Security section. The first check box "Enable selection of user shares" needs to be checked. Now, go look at the remote servers and you'll see your shares for selection. Be sure to test your restores to make sure you have everything else working correctly.

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

BE will be using DFSR Writer when backing up and restoring folders used by DFS. Which make backups slower.

Stop the "DFS Replication" service when backups are running, using pre & post commands.

This doc also may help you...

http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO22689

Karen_Johnson
Level 4

Hello Kiran,

Thank you for your response as you can tell I am already using the Stop DFS Replication command.  Is there anything else that I can try to improve the backup time.  My backups are running about 19 hours and that is not acceptable. 

Thank you

Karen

Karen_Johnson
Level 4

Hello Maheshroja,

I am already using the legacy portions, but the backup's are still extrememly slow.  I am running into 19 hours for my backups.  Any additional suggestions you might have will be appreciated.

Thank you

Karen