cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup EXEC remote agents patching for Windows

ronakb
Level 2

Hello,

I just upgraded to Backup Exec 2010 R2 and downloaded all the hotfixes to the media server and finished all the updates. But the warning pop up that several remote agent servers (all Windows servers) are not upto the latest patch level.

Here it is:

" There are 68 Remote Agent Servers that are not up to the latest patch level.  To install the latest patches, click Tools->Install Agents and Media Server on Other Servers.  From there, click Import and Export->Import Servers Published to this Media Server.  This will start a remote install session to ensure your servers are up to date with the latest available patches. "

Also the warning indicated the way to do that. But I am confused, does that require reboot of the remote servers after the backup exec patches are installed? Are there any document avaialable which shows the steps to do this? Is it safe to do this during the running production environment?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi there,

R3 would be the latest version, and it fixes a number of issues from R1 and R2. Slightly off-topic, but if you can upgrade to this at some stage it's recommended.

Once you update your media server, you should always upgrade the RAWS agents to prevent any possible issues from creeping in during backups.

In this case, you can push-install from the MMS...go to Tools --> Install agents and licenses on other servers (can't remember the exact wording now), and this will allow you to import a list of servers publishing to the media server. You'd choose the Remote Agent for Windows Servers option if it presents itself, and let it run through.

A reboot isn't always required, but will definitely be required if you have AOFO installed.

TO get around this, you can open your registry on the server needing a restart (back it up first!!!), and go to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SOFTWARE \ Symantec and look for a key called PatchReboot. Delete this, and BE will think the server has been restarted. It buys you time to restart the server at a more appropriate time which you should do anyway!

Change COntrol in a production enviroment is always your cover if need be, but I do this all the time without much impact. What works for me, doesn't necessarily work for you though...

Thanks!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

CraigV

Hi there,

R3 would be the latest version, and it fixes a number of issues from R1 and R2. Slightly off-topic, but if you can upgrade to this at some stage it's recommended.

Once you update your media server, you should always upgrade the RAWS agents to prevent any possible issues from creeping in during backups.

In this case, you can push-install from the MMS...go to Tools --> Install agents and licenses on other servers (can't remember the exact wording now), and this will allow you to import a list of servers publishing to the media server. You'd choose the Remote Agent for Windows Servers option if it presents itself, and let it run through.

A reboot isn't always required, but will definitely be required if you have AOFO installed.

TO get around this, you can open your registry on the server needing a restart (back it up first!!!), and go to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SOFTWARE \ Symantec and look for a key called PatchReboot. Delete this, and BE will think the server has been restarted. It buys you time to restart the server at a more appropriate time which you should do anyway!

Change COntrol in a production enviroment is always your cover if need be, but I do this all the time without much impact. What works for me, doesn't necessarily work for you though...

Thanks!

ronakb
Level 2

Thank You Craig.

I liked your suggestion to upgrade to R3 and will do so too.

But I just started here working so don't know who did remote agent installation on all the remote servers but I know that there are 70 remote servers. And I don't know if AOFO is installed or not. Is there any way to check? so, that I can atleast make a list of the servers that will be rebooted.

Tweeking the registry is good option but I don't want to go on that path. Instead of that I will get approvals for reboot and do that.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

When you push out the agent, BE will let you know whether a re-boot of the remote server is required.  You would not know beforehand so you have to plan on a re-boot.

Since you have a lot of remote servers, you don't have to upgrade your remote agents all at one go.  You did  not say what is your previous version of BE, but BE 2010 can work with BE 12.5 agents.

CraigV

...tweaking the registry is only something I suggest you use IF you really cannot restart those servers. the push-install works really well too.

Once you upgrade to R3, SP2 is available, so download that and once done, run LiveUpdate again to see if there are additional patches. If there are, then install them and run the push-install thereafter...