cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exchange 2007 fails with Writer Status

lnino1982
Level 4

He guys,

at the moment the exchange backup fails with the message Error on querying the writer status.

When I use the command "vssadmin list writers" I see that the Microsoft Exchange Writer shows that the "Microsoft Exchange Writer" has the status: Retryable Errors.

I found this TN: http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH60788

I dismounted the Exchange DBs and mounted them again afterwards.

Then I restarted the Information Storage service.

I used the BETEST.exe for a testbackup and the it ended without an error.

After that I run a manuell testbackup with backupexec and this worked as well without an error.

Today when I came in to the company the scheduled task for the weekend failed with the same error message and the writer status is again on "Retryable Errors".

We are using following environment:

Backup Server: Windows Server 2008 R2 - Backup Exec 2012

Exchange Server: Windows Server 2008 R2 - Exchange 2007

Any suggestions what I can do to get the backup working again?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Do ensure Advanced Open File option is not enabled for the exchange backup and the exchange backup schedule should not coincide with tasks such as exchange maintenance.

Review the event viewer on the exchange server for any specific VSS errors as well.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

VJware
Level 6

Do ensure Advanced Open File option is not enabled for the exchange backup and the exchange backup schedule should not coincide with tasks such as exchange maintenance.

Review the event viewer on the exchange server for any specific VSS errors as well.

lnino1982
Level 4

Thanks for your reply.

I have now disabled AOFO for the exchange backup.

In the event viewer I have following IDs: 2007, 9840, 9609, 9814

I will post a status tomorrow of the backup job which runs scheduled today evening.

lnino1982
Level 4

When I was checking the backup today, the Exchange Backup succeeded after disabling the AOFO.

I will check the backup again after the scheduled task tonight and when it succeeds again i think the problem is gone.

lnino1982
Level 4

Hi again,

the backup yesterday night failed. :(

The AOFO on the exchange job is still disabled.

I see following error messages from Backup Exec 2010:

Completed status: Failed
Final error: 0xe000fed1 - A failure occurred querying the Writer status.
Final error category: Resource Errors

V-79-57344-65233 - Snapshot Technology: Initialization failure on: "\\Server1\Microsoft Information Store\EXDB1". Snapshot techology used: Microsoft Volume Shadows Copy Service (VSS)

Writer Name: Exchange Server, Writer ID: {76FE1AC4-15F7-4BCD-987E-8E1ACB462FB7}, Last error: The VSS Writer failed, but the operation can be retried (0x800423f3), State: Waiting for backup complete notification (5).

Snapshot Technology: Started for resource: "E:". Snapshot technology used: Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS).
The snapshot technology used by VSS for volume E: - Microsoft Software Shadow Copy provider 1.0 (Version 1.0.0.7).

I have now unmarked the systemstate in this backupjob for the job tonight evening, because as I know it uses VSS too.

auswahl2.PNG

I took a look into the windows services and there I saw that in the moment when no backup runs the services "swprv" and "VSS" are not running. They are set to manual. Are these settings right, or do you hav any other suggestions?

I have also tried to find some orphaned shadows with the command "vssadmin list shadows", but there were none.

At the moment E: is 197 GB big and 33,8 GB are still free space.

When I right click on E: to Properties the Shadow Copies are disabled. Is this okay?

shadow.PNG

Any ideas how I can get rid of this error?

Strange that the backup worked on Monday and failed on Thuesday.

lnino1982
Level 4

Hi again,

the backup yesterday night failed. :(

The AOFO on the exchange job is still disabled.

I see following error messages from Backup Exec 2010:

Completed status: Failed
Final error: 0xe000fed1 - A failure occurred querying the Writer status.
Final error category: Resource Errors

V-79-57344-65233 - Snapshot Technology: Initialization failure on: "\\Server1\Microsoft Information Store\EXDB1". Snapshot techology used: Microsoft Volume Shadows Copy Service (VSS)

Writer Name: Exchange Server, Writer ID: {76FE1AC4-15F7-4BCD-987E-8E1ACB462FB7}, Last error: The VSS Writer failed, but the operation can be retried (0x800423f3), State: Waiting for backup complete notification (5).

Snapshot Technology: Started for resource: "E:". Snapshot technology used: Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS).
The snapshot technology used by VSS for volume E: - Microsoft Software Shadow Copy provider 1.0 (Version 1.0.0.7).

I have now unmarked the systemstate in this backupjob for the job tonight evening, because as I know it uses VSS too.

auswahl2.PNG

I took a look into the windows services and there I saw that in the moment when no backup runs the services "swprv" and "VSS" are not running. They are set to manual. Are these settings right, or do you hav any other suggestions?

I have also tried to find some orphaned shadows with the command "vssadmin list shadows", but there were none.

Any ideas how I can get rid of this error?

Strange that the backup worked on Monday and failed on Thuesday.

VJware
Level 6

These services are to be set manual and are invoked when the snapshot is called.

Would recommend to examine the event viewer on the exchange server for the duration of the backup & i am sure you would find errors/warnings especially related to VSS. These should help us find out why the backup is failing.

maurijo
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Check the eventviewer for detailed info on the errors during the backup window.

VSS service starts when it is needed. Check if Virtual disk service is started. It should start on its own but sometimes starting it manually once helps.

Also, do all of your disks have enough free space ?

lnino1982
Level 4

The solution was to disable AOFO, but after that some time the backup worked and sometimes it failed.

After searching I found a parallel backup of veeam which did a backup up at the same backup window. So I changed the backup window and now everything works fine. And every day. :)

Thanks for your help.