cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 10.1 : Failed - Server "suspended"

Jeromek
Level 3
Hello.

I have a problem with a Backup Exec 10.1 (Rev 5629) installed on a Small Business Server 2003. The media is a Iomega Rev.

Four jobs in a row failed a few days ago and I was not able to explain why. The log mentionned "Unable to mount the media" (translation from french).
I tried to make an invotory of the Rev but even the inventory job was unable to start. I noticed in the job monitor that every scheduled jobs (backup, invotory) had their job status at "server suspended" (translation from french).
Everything worked fine for a few days after this problem. I didn't understand why cause I hadn't made any changes. But the problem is back now and I'm still looking forward to fix it.

The media looks like fine, online and detected. The main problem is that jobs are unable to start. The jobs status of all these jobs are at "server suspended" (still from french). I restarted the backup exec services but that didn't change anything.

Can you help me to fix it ?

Thanks.
13 REPLIES 13

pkh
   VIP    Certified
Are you able to do a backup to a disk other than the Rev?

Jeromek
Level 3
Unfortunately there is not another media connected and I am not on the site to fix the problem. I have a remote access to the server.

I could try to connect another media but I can't do it right now. Any other idea to understand where it can come from ? Is there a way to be sure that it comes from the Rev ?

pkh
   VIP    Certified
Do a small backup to the server's harddisk?  If this works, then the Rev is the problem.

Jeromek
Level 3

I made a test..

I create a destination on the disk itself and the create a new job to use it. It worked. So, I guess the problem is the Rev ?

EDIT : Well, I didn't see your post ! :)

Is there a way to run diagnostic from backup exec ? Cause in Backup Exec, the Rev looks fine..

pkh
   VIP    Certified
It would appear so.  To confirm, you can use NTBackup and so a small backup to the Rev.

Jeromek
Level 3
NTBackup works fine with the Rev. I'm also able to manually create/delete files on the Rev.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Try a small BE backup to the Rev.

Jeromek
Level 3
Same problem : Job failed, unable to mount the media.

pkh
   VIP    Certified
Restart the BE services and try the small BE backup job again.

Also, check whether the Rev is paused.  If it is, resume it.

Jeromek
Level 3
I restarted all the services and retried the small job. That didn't work.

I noticed a new problem : In the informations of the tape, I see that it's writeable (unprotected) but that it is "impossible to add" (translation from french). But there's still 43 Go of free Space on the Rev (43 of 111 Go).

I called someone to check that there was no problem with the tape and everything's ok. She replaced the tape, just in case... But no changes.

Edit : And the Rev is not paused - it's enabled

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Can you try with an empty cartridge?

Jeromek
Level 3
I ejected the tape and try to run a new inventory. Same problem, it didn't start and his job status is "server suspended" (translatation from french).

I restarted the Backup Exec services and checked the media and the tape in the Rev disappeared. But when I relaunched a new inventory, it didn't start, once again.

Jeromek
Level 3
A little update : 

I uninstall and reinstall Backup Exec (keeping the configuration files) and the problem is still there.

I run an Iomega diagnostic for the Rev and it didn't detect any problems. The Rev works correctly.

I guess the problem is from the communication between the Rev and the Backup Exec but I don't know how to make a diagnostic of it. It also could be a problem from the configuration of Backup Exec.. but where ?

Any ideas ? :)