cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 10.1 - is NDMP option available?

Steve_Liu
Level 3
We are using Backup Exec 10.1 and now we have added NetApp FAS3020C NAS and we need to backup the data on the NAS to tape. Does BE 10.1 has NDMP option? I believe Olaf Boettger on http://forums.veritas.com/discussions/thread.jspa?messageID=4428266釪 aso has the same question.
15 REPLIES 15

tejashree_Bhate
Level 6
Hello,

Backup Exec (tm) 10.1 for Windows Servers, uses Network Data Management Protocol (NDMP) is used to communicate with the remote servers. The Backup Exec Job Engine first communicates with the Remote Agent for Windows Servers through a control session using port 10000

You may also refer to the following technote

(title) How to change the port that Network Data Management Protocol uses in Backup Exec for Windows Servers
http://support.veritas.com/docs/255498

Note:- if we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be assumed answered and archived.

Matthew_McDonal
Level 4
Does this mean all backups are run with the NDMP protocol? I have an EMC Celerra device that is used for SAN and NAS. I'm interested in backing up the NAS portion, but there's no agent available for this.

The EMC documentation mentions using NDMP compatible software to back it up. I unfortunately don't know enough about it to set it up nor do I know the right questions to ask, so I'm hoping to get some sort of info from this forum.

Please advise.

tmcquaig
Level 4
Backup Exec does not support NDMP. You would have to use NetBackup if you want NDMP support.

Matthew_McDonal
Level 4
OK that makes no sense seeing how the Veritas rep above says it uses NDMP by default.

Consider me confused... lol.

tmcquaig
Level 4
Backup Exec uses it to communicate between it's agents yes. The rep is correct on that. However he is not answering the question. He is telling you about some backend workings of the backup exec product.

I am answering the specific question of backing up a NetApp Filer. You cannot use backup exec and NDMP. You can however use backup exec to backup CIFS shares from your filer.

Question: "Does BE 10.1 has NDMP option?"
Answer: No.

Matthew_McDonal
Level 4
Super. That is the answer I was looking for but not hoping for haha. Thank you for clarification.

We are currently doing this via CIFS share and it's a problem because every job "completes with exceptions" so I have to verify every job everytime it runs to ensure the errors are benign. *sigh*.

OK so question 2. If using netbackup, does the netfiler have to be used via SAN or can the NAS cifs shares still be backed up with the NDMP option? I think what I have found is at least the Tape drive has to be attached to the SAN array via network or scsi instead of being directly attached to the backup host. Hopefully that made sense.

tmcquaig
Level 4
If you have netbackup (which I don't, I'm only recalling what I've read) you would be able to use NDMP which would be an "agent less" backup of your NAS.

I'm happy with my cifs backups for now. Until I can switch backup software.

I feel your pain on "completes with exceptions".

Steve_Liu
Level 3
Actually you would have to purchase an NDMP option for the NetBackup, which costs us slightly over $7,000

tmcquaig
Level 4
$7k. Is that a per unit license?

www.tivoli.com :)

Matthew_McDonal
Level 4
Steve,

In your netbackup setup, is the tape library attached to the backup admin host or directly connected to the SAN/NAS?

My main issue is backup exec is not working for me, for many reasons (i.e. lack of media encryption ability, and the apparent problems with CIFS). I cannot find enough info on Netbackup to make a case for the upgrade. Not sure if netbackup will do what I need it to do with my NAS.

Steve_Liu
Level 3
That is for each NetBackup server that you want to use NDMP to backup your NAS's or SAN's

Steve_Liu
Level 3
The tape library is attached to a Win2K3 server with NetBackup. In my case I had to purchase NetBackup 6.0, with Tape Library Option and NDMP Option. All together it cost us just under $12,000, and that is with discount too!

We have a Network Appliance NAS with both CIFS and NFS. So far I am able access both Filers through NDMP. The only problem I am having is that my tape library is having problem with NetBackup where it saying it is unable to allocate new media for backup.

All because someone in our group wanted this NAS and spent $60K for it and we had to spend another $12K to back it up.

Matthew_McDonal
Level 4
Interesting. We just spent almost $16,000 just to upgrade the tape drive with two more drives. I'm doubting I can convince the business to upgrade to netbackup haha.

shweta_rege
Level 6
Hello steve,

Could you please update us on the issue...

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered
and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Steve_Liu
Level 3
Trace McQuaig has answered my question.