cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 10 -Centralized Catalogs

Tim_O_Brien_2
Level 4
Our current environment has 3 backup tape machines with 3 separate catalogs. Does Backup Exec 10 allow for a centralized catalogs? If someone could let me know if there is documentation regarding that I would appreciate it. Thanks in advance.
5 REPLIES 5

Dhavalrai_Trive
Level 5
Hi,

Backup Exec 10.0 does allow you to store the catalogs centraly and utilise the three backup servers more efficiently.

You will require the CASO or Central Admin Server Option to be installed on the server where you want to store the catalogs and the other two servers will be managed media servers which can be managed from the central server.

The best info regarding this will be available in the 10.0 administrators guide.

You can download it from the link given below.

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/269777.htm

Ameet_Thakkar
Level 6
Kindly refer to Page number 861 of Administration Manual of Backup Exec v10.x from the technote link mentioned below.

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/269777.htm

We hope this would help you answer your questions.

Tim_O_Brien_2
Level 4
Thanks for the information regarding centralized catalogs. I am trying to install the Managed Media Server option but do not have that choice to install it. Am I unable to install the Manage Media option because I only have an evaluation copy? I would like to test this functionality of having two tape library's and "see" how centralized catalogs work and setting up job pools with 2 machines but again I am unable to install this component for some reason. I was able to install the Central Admin Server option but according to Backup Exec documentation I should see a "Media Server: view and my machine should display as "Central Admin Server" which is does not. Says my machine is "Stand Alone". Any ideas of what I am doing wrong or if evaluation copy keeps me from using this option. Thanks for advance for your help.

Dave_Bunye
Level 6
With your eval copy, on the machine you wish to be the central admin server, launch Tools\Serial Numbers and installation. On the serial number screen, choose to add the "Central Asmin Server Option" (CASO for short) then hit install.

This will make the local server the Central Admin server. You can delegate all jobs to other servers from here after they have been added as a Managed Media server. Also, the option to store all catalogs on the Central Admin Server is available. After installing this option, you have a new tab in BE called Media Servers.

To create a Managed Media Server (MMS), you have two choices. The easiest is to go to the Media Servers tab and right click on an empty portion of the screena nd select "Install Additional Managed Media Servers". The other way is to go to each of the other media servers and run the Tools\Serial Numbers and Installation options and select fromt he list Managed Media Server (DO NOT select the Central Admin server option on the other servers, or you will have three seperate centralized servers which manage nothing but themseleves!)

Tim_O_Brien_2
Level 4
Thanks for your help. I have fixed the issue. For some reason I needed to un-install and re-install the Central Admin Feature.