cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 10.x install failure - MSDE problem, logs included.

Jolson
Level 3
I am attempting to install Backup Exec 10x onto a Windows 2003 server, but am having trouble.  The set up programs quits when installing the MSDE instance.

The BKUPINST.LOG file lists the problem:
ERROR: Failed to install MSDE 2000 BKUPEXEC instance.
Please review C:\WINDOWS\MSDE_BKUPEXEC.log for more details.

Failed to install third party products.
This makes it seem similar to the problem listed on KB doc 272371.  However the MSDE_BKEXEC.LOG does not show the error listed in that document.  So I don't think that is the problem.

I'm not really sure what to look for in that log file though.

I searched the MSDE log for the word "error" and found nothing that looked important.  Since I can't post the entire log here, I've snipped the last 8 lines, which may or may not be helpful.

MSI (s) (08:3C) [11:08:41:278]: Note: 1: 1708
MSI (s) (08:3C) [11:08:41:278]: Product: Microsoft SQL Server Desktop Engine -- Installation operation failed.
MSI (s) (08:3C) [11:08:41:294]: Cleaning up uninstalled install packages, if any exist
MSI (s) (08:3C) [11:08:41:294]: MainEngineThread is returning 1603
MSI (s) (08:C8) [11:08:41:294]: Destroying RemoteAPI object.
MSI (s) (08:1C) [11:08:41:294]: Custom Action Manager thread ending.
=== Logging stopped: 9/17/2007  11:08:41 ===
MSI (c) (4C:FC) [11:08:41:294]: Decrementing counter to disable shutdown. If counter >= 0, shutdown will be denied.  Counter after decrement: -1
MSI (c) (4C:FC) [11:08:41:294]: MainEngineThread is returning 1603
=== Verbose logging stopped: 9/17/2007  11:08:41 ===

6 REPLIES 6

Ben_L_
Level 6
Employee
Jolson,

Try to install the MSDE portion manually and then install BE to that instance of MSDE (you will be able to select it during the install, if MSDE installs succesfully).

To install MSDE open a command prompt and change directory to where the install files are located.  You are most likely going to want to have them local for this.  Then change directories to the WINNT\INSTALL\MSDE.  Now run this command "setup /l*v "C:\bkupexec.log" instancename=bkupexec blanksapwd=1"  This should install MSDE if not it will create a new log file that might give us more insight to why it's having a problem.

Message Edited by ben_lipsey on 09-18-2007 09:53 AM

Jolson
Level 3
Ok I ran the install of MSDE as requested and it failed again.

I have a log file, but it's obviously too big to post on this forum, where should I send it?

I looked at the log file and see nothing glaringly obvious, but then again, I am unfamiliar with MSDE logs.

Jolson
Level 3
Ok!  I was able to get MSDE to install by adding DISABLEROLLBACK=1 into that command, however the Backup Exec install program is not seeing the SQL instance.

Jolson
Level 3
More information.

Apparently Backup Exec 10 was installed on this server prior to my getting here, and removed for some reason.

I wonder if the problems are stemming from a bad uninstall of Backup Exec and MSDE?

Ben_L_
Level 6
Employee
Jolson,

That is possible that the uninstall of 10 could be causing a problem.

But if you are able to start the installer for 10d and it asks you for the SQL instance, you can just type in the name.  you don't have to just select one from the drop down.  The name should be servername\bkupexec.

Jolson
Level 3
I tried that but, no luck.

This is actually looking more like some sort of major MSDE/SQL problem.

As it stands now, I can see that my forceed install is there, but I cannot start (or find) the service with either the SQL manager utillity.  It does show up in the  services list under Administrative tools, but will not start there either.  In fact, no instances do, and I've tried serveral installs under different instancenames. 

I think Backup Exec would work correctly if SQL wasn't broken, so it looks like I'm going to be spending some time with the Microsoft KB looking for MSDE/SQL fixing information.

Thanks for the help though, I've got it narrowed down a specific problem now.

Message Edited by Jolson on 09-20-2007 08:38 AM

Message Edited by Jolson on 09-20-2007 08:39 AM