cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 10d Quickstart Edition not detecting Sony SDX-460V TAIT drive

Jon_Cross
Level 3
One of our customers has recently purchased a Sony SDX-460V internal Turbo AIT drive (IDE version). It came bundled with BE 10d Quickstart edition. The customer was running Backup Exec 8.6 for Windows Servers when the drive was initially installed. Their server is a Win2k Server running SP4. The drive is installed on the secondary IDE channel as a master - there is no slave device installed.

After installing the latest Sony drivers for the drive (I didn't use the 8.6 tapeinst driver utility as I thought it was likely to be out-of-date) I restarted the BE services and opened BE and saw that the drive had not been detected. "No problem" I thought, I guessed that 8.6 might be too old to support the drive and decided to remove BE 8.6 from the server and install the 10d quickstart that came bundled with the drive instead (this wasn't a problem as quickstart will cover their current backup needs anyway).

I uninstalled 8.6 normally, rebooted the server and installed the 10d with the quickstart activation key provided. During the installation I chose to use veritas drivers for the drive.

After the post-installation reboot that was required, backup exec 10d still didn't detect the drive. I could see it in Windows' device manager, and it was certainly using the right driver. After much mucking around with the Removable Storage options (I tried enabling/disabling the device - with the veritas driver installed this actually caused the Removeable Storage service to hang sometimes). I also tried running an ntbackup with the veritas drivers installed - ntbackup refused to acknowledge the device was installed, although it does work fine with the latest Sony drivers. So to clarify.. ntbackup detects and uses the drive with the Sony drivers, but not the Veritas ones. BE 10d will not detect tbe drive with either Sony or Veritas drivers.

Sorry for the long winded post, but I wanted to make sure the whole background was here in case I've done something fundamentally wrong somewhere. I hope someone can offer some help!Message was edited by:
Jon Cross
7 REPLIES 7

shweta_rege
Level 6
Hello,

Please check,whether the device that you are using is there in our Hardware Compatibility List.

Kindly refer the following document for the same:

Symantec Backup Exec for Windows Servers (tm) 10d (10.1) Hardware Compatibility List. Includes HCL information for supported drives, libraries, virtual tape devices, fibre-channel HBAs, switches, routers/bridges, and iSCSI components. For printing purposes, the latest version of Acrobat is recommended

http://support.veritas.com/docs/281670

If the Device is tested,then install the Veritas Drivers.

- Kindly refer the following Document to install the latest Drivers:

Symantec Backup Exec (tm) 10d (10.1.5629) - Device Driver Installer (20060215) - Includes Tape Driver Release (09) and Robotic Library Release (52) (Intel Only)

http://support.veritas.com/docs/281696

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked �assumed answered� and would be moved to �answered questions� pool.

Thanks.

Jon_Cross
Level 3
The device is in the HCL and shows as tested fine with the version of Backup Exec we are using. We have tried to install the lastest Veritas Drivers as per http://support.veritas.com/docs/281696. We have also tried to use the latest Sony drivers.

shweta_rege
Level 6
Hello,

- Do you receive any events7,9,11 in the event logs?

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked �assumed answered� and would be moved to �answered questions� pool.

Thanks.

Jon_Cross
Level 3
Those events were occuring with the previously installed AIT drive (which was an SDX-300c), however since the installation of the SDX-460V none of those events have occured.

Jon_Cross
Level 3
We are still waiting for help with this problem. Our client is getting a little annoyed that the problem remains unsolved.

Jon_Cross
Level 3
We are still awaiting a response from Veritas/Symantec regarding this problem, please consider this a bump.

Sharvari_Deshmu
Level 6
Hello,

Please check the device configuration with the help of the technote:

How to troubleshoot issues with a Robotic Library or Tape Drive in Backup Exec 9.x and 10.0

http://support.veritas.com/docs/255501

Thanks,

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.