cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 10d and Windows Storage Server 2008

rob-w
Level 2

Hi All,

We are looking to implement a Dell Network-Attached Storage device within our customers infrastructure. This is primary for storage of archive information, but there is still a requirement to perform a monthly backup. However, Backup Exec 10d is currently used and all the Dell NAS offerings appear to ship with Windows Storage Server 2008 (x64) for which I know that BE 10d doesn't support. 

Does anyone out there have any suggestions how this device can be backed up (without upgrading the BE Infrastructure) - i.e. is it possible to perform a UNC backup of these types of devices?

Many thanks in advance.

Cheers,
Rob

4 REPLIES 4

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

Yes you can create backup to disk folder using the UNC path , I dont think it should have an issue.

rob-w
Level 2

Thanks RahulG - we don't have anywhere to store a B2D job - the data size will initially be 2-3TB going up to 10TB during the next year - ideally we'd like to backup straight to tape by using the BE 10d Server connecting to the UNC paths on the NAS box (dependant on performance - which probably isn't going to be great), we'll probably need to specify different parts of the data under different backup jobs

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

Sorry I guess I did not understood the issue properly,

If you want to bakup the NAS device using the UNC path ,you add the Unc path in the user defined selection and then can back ditectly to Tape.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

Does anyone out there have any suggestions how this device can be backed up (without upgrading the BE Infrastructure) - i.e. is it possible to perform a UNC backup of these types of devices?

You would of course need a RAWS serial installed on the media server, and as you cannot install the v10d RAWS On W2K8, you can try creating a UserDefinedShare using either the NetBIOS name or IP address

Even if this does work, you would only get user data (ie not a DR type backup) and if you ever had any problems, Symantece would probably not help you as this is a totally unsupported configuration