cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 10d, compression ratio less than 1:1

Akira_Kato
Level 4

We have an SBS2003 running Backup Exec 10d SP4 (10.1 Rev 5629) with internal HP Ultrium2 SCSI tape drive.

We noticed recently that some backups are not completing on one tape and after backing up about 107GB it requires a second tape. The tapes are LTO2 (200/400GB). When I check the compression ratio, it is at most 0.6:1. I tried compression settings of "hardware only" and "hardware if not software" with no difference.

We are not backing up compressed folders. Some posts say that this is a hardware issue but I was wondering if anyone had any suggestion. The driver is dated 1/5/2005 from Veritas.

Thanks

Akira Kato

11 REPLIES 11

newsolutionBE
Level 6

Hi

The first thing is 10d is End of life so will ask you to uograde to BE 11d or E 2010 r3 the most surrent version

In case of compression when it goes to tape it is the tape which has full control on performing compression so please ensure the firmware & scsi controller drivers are upto date too

Thanks

pkh
   VIP    Certified

There are other types of files that are compressed, like movie, picture or sound files.  Encrypted files also compress badly.  See my article on this subject

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/compression-short-explanation

Try turning off compression, you might be able to store more on your tape.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

How is upgrading going to solve the user's problem?

newsolutionBE
Level 6

Hi PKH

As mention in my above post as BE 10d is EOL so It will be best that OP atleast uses 11d or BE 2010 which would be supported version.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

BE 11d is also EOL, so what good is it for him to upgrade to that?

newsolutionBE
Level 6

Hi PKH

BE 11d is not EOL yet so it is fine if he upgrades to it.( I have recommended either be on BE11d or BE 2010 R3 the most recent)

pkh
   VIP    Certified

BE 11d is not EOL yet

Proof it.

teiva-boy
Level 6

11d is EOL as of Aug 2010, but still supported with valid maintenance till 2013.  This would happen when someone bought 3yrs of support near the Aug 2010 date...

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=releasedetails&key=15047

Back to the problem at hand...  compressed files and encrypted files could cause this.  As can software compression enabled in conjunction with hardware compression.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...not sure why 12.5 wasn't mentioned in this as it's at least newer than BE 11d.

That said, it's not always financially possible for companies to upgrade all the time. Budgetary constraints will prevent this so you will see a number of people on the forums still running older versions backing up legacy applications with no intention of backing up any time soon!

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

Has this been happening long or did it start recently?

At one point (I think it was v11d, so this may not apply to your situation) there were numerous reports that LTO drives in general and LTO2 specifically were getting less than the native capacity of the tapes

The suggested work-around was to initialize the tapes using the manufacturer's utility rather than Labeling from within Backup Exec

Give that a try and see if it helps

william_duran
Level 2

Communications are down with the Backup Exec Services.

How to fix this...???