cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Two Media Server on one HP Library, possible ?

ppellegr
Level 2

Hi,

We have one HP MSL 5060 with 2 tape drives connected on one host with Backup Exec installed on it.  I want to connected a third tape drive on an another host (for now without Backup Exec or any backup software. Planning to install Backup Exec on it). 

When both server are online,  the host with Backup Exec can't control anymore the library (hardware error, unable to clean tape drive, etc...) once I down the second host everything work fine again at the host with Backup Exec.

Because we want to install an another BE Media Server host on the same library this situation let me perplex on the fact that can work. 

Should that work ? Anyone already have seen a setup like this ?

Note : My hosts and library are SCSI connected.

Regards,

Patrick

3 REPLIES 3

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

The Library Expansion Option would be beneficial for the 1st host if you are planning on using both drives with BE .... - http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH43073

However, multiple media servers sharing same storage is possible with the help of the SSO license...however, verbatim from a KB -

SSO enables multiple media servers to share secondary storage devices, such as robotic libraries, in a SAN. The secondary storage devices are not directly connected to a single server by SCSI, but are connected to a Fibre Channel Switched Fabric (FC-SW) or iSCSI.

In a shared storage environment, secondary storage devices also can be attached to the local SCSI buses of any media server. However, these local devices, disk or tape drives connected to a server, are only available to the server to which they are attached.

teiva-boy
Level 6

You can purchase some 4GB FC HBA's and some inexpensive SCSI to FC bridges from crossroads or ATTO Tech.

Now combined with the SSO option for BE, you can share a SCSI attached library.  

ppellegr
Level 2

VJWare,

We want both media servers to be independant of each other.  To clarify, we want to share physically the robotic library but not logically between Backup Exec media servers.

So we plan to install two media servers with LEO (the 1st one already have it), one with two tape drive from the library and the second one with only one tape drive.  In both media servers, we'll assign proper tapes to be available for the jobs.  Finally, both media servers will command the same robotic library without communicating together. Still possible ?

Does what I describe looks like your quoted comment below ?

In a shared storage environment, secondary storage devices also can be attached to the local SCSI buses of any media server. However, these local devices, disk or tape drives connected to a server, are only available to the server to which they are attached.

Regards,

Patrick