cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 10d reading tapes from v9 for Netware

Bob_Newlin
Level 4
I am installing 10d. This is the first windows version of Backup Exec I have used, but I have used the Netware version for many years. When I try to read a tape created under v9 of Backup Exec for Netware, the system says that the media password is invalid. I have never password protected my media! Is it the case that v10 for Windows is incompatible with v9 for Netware??

Thanks, Bob
7 REPLIES 7

padmaja_rajopad
Level 6
Hi,

Have you tried inventorying and catalogging the tape first..?

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked �assumed answered� and would be moved to the �answered questions� pool.

Bob_Newlin
Level 4
I have inventoried the tape. It is when I try to catalog the tape that I get the error. Without catalog, it will not even accept a restore job.

padmaja_rajopad
Level 6
Hi,

Click on "Tools" > "options" > "Catalogs" >Uncheck "Use media based catalogs".

Try running catalog job again....

If Backup Exec for Netware is still installed in the environment, check whether Backup Exec for Netware asks for a password as well, if you try to catalog the tape....

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked �assumed answered� and would be moved to the �answered questions� pool.

Bob_Newlin
Level 4
This did not help. It appears from further study and looking at this forum, that BENW 9 has added a password even though it was not set up to do so. Apparently this has been an bug for some time and not answered. It only comes to light when you move the tapes to a different server where the original catalogs are not available.

Madalina_Scarle
Level 3
If the netware password was longer than 8 characters, use just the first 8 characters from the password when trying to catalog the tape.

Bob_Newlin
Level 4
Since there was no password. It could not have been longer than 8 characters.

Rucha_Abhyankar
Level 6
Hi Bob,

We will be moving this post to the Backup Exec for Netware pool as this is meant for queries for Backup Exec for Windows Servers only.

==================

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.