cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 10d showing b2d folder as offline after 1st backup?

beaconsfieldcom
Level 4

Hi I'm having an issue with backup exec 10d showing my usb WD removable drive as being offline after the first scheduled backup. This is a daily backup, the first backup will run fine but the next day it will pause saying the device is offline, the only way to resolve this is to manually select the folder as being online again but I don't want to have to do this every day. Is there a way to force backup exec to make it online before every backup begins?

I don't think this is a hardware failure as there is nothing interesting in the event logs, and the drive has not been unplugged for months.

11 REPLIES 11

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Are you unplugging your 'removable' USB device?

matt077
Level 5
Partner Accredited

"I don't think this is a hardware failure as there is nothing interesting in the event logs, and the drive has not been unplugged for months."

how old is the WD drive?

JoaoMatos
Level 6
Partner

Hi,

do you have enough free space in you B2d destination?

I suppose RSM is disabled.

Can you recreate backup-to-disk folder?

Regards,

JoaoMatos

beaconsfieldcom
Level 4

Thanks for your quick replies, I believe the drive is around 1-2 years old though I wouldn't know exactly.

I know there is enough free space available it has 230GB free when each backup only takes about 70GB. I don't think Removable Storage Managment is playing a role in this.

I have recreated my b2d folder and have started the backup, will post back to say how it goes.

Larry_Fine
   VIP   

The key is to determine why the drive is going offline and prevent that, rather than having to force it online.  check your adamm.log file for clues as to why/when it went offline.

beaconsfieldcom
Level 4

Looks like recreating the b2d folder made no difference. After 2 more successful backups the drive is being reported as offline once again.

Larry_Fine
   VIP   

any errors in the adamm.log file?

beaconsfieldcom
Level 4

Yes

[4632] 09/27/10 23:00:05 PvlChanger::UpdateOnlineState()
       Changer = 1003 "Backup-to-Disk Folder 1"
       ERROR = The device is offline!

[4632] 09/27/10 23:00:05 PvlChanger::MapErrorCode() - offline device
       Drive = 1003 "Backup-to-Disk Folder 1"
       ERROR = 0xE0008216 (E_CHG_DISCONNECTED_DURING_CMD)
[5152] 09/29/10 10:29:46 Update device state
        Device name : Backup-to-Disk Folder 1
        Device state: ONLINE, ENABLED

Larry_Fine
   VIP   

re: ERROR = 0xE0008216 (E_CHG_DISCONNECTED_DURING_CMD)

I would speculate that the root of this is some driver or hardware disconnect.  Now we know when it went offline, so what is happening at 11 PM on that system?  Is BE trying to run a job?  Any other scheduled activities on that server?  Is there anything else at 11 PM in the Windows event logs?

beaconsfieldcom
Level 4

I already checked the event logs, there is nothing that happens around 11pm other than the backup.

On 29/9/10 the only warning before 11pm is at 10:02pm from ftdisk: The system failed to flush data to the transaction log. Corruption may occur. Could this be causing the problem?

mike_coreit
Level 3

I'm still getting the same issue, though I can't get the drive to show as being online any more.