cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 11.D - Service Pack 5 install error

M1J0
Not applicable
We have a SBS 2003 with the small business edition Backup Exec 11D.  The version that was installed came from a download from Symantec.  We have been able to successfully install all other service packs until we got to SP5.  The install fails with error " Upgrade terminated unexpectedly.  Please see installation log for details.".  Here are the log files:

Symantec Backup Exec (TM) 11 for Windows Servers Patch Log : SP-

03-19-2010,12:00:22 : Setup.ini.0B400D21_0933_47C3_86AE_B09DF0B01D80 was not removed from RemoveFile table.
03-19-2010,12:00:23 : Entering PatchSetup.exe
03-19-2010,12:00:23 : Command Line: /NAME:SP- /UI:FULL
03-19-2010,12:00:23 : Executing GetPatchInfo.
03-19-2010,12:00:24 : The installation source for this product is not available. Verify that the source exists and that you can access it. C:\WINDOWS\Installer\4321f2a.msi
03-19-2010,12:00:25 : V-225-136: The patch failed to install. An alert was unable to be generated to notify the user. ***To search for information about this error, click here 
03-19-2010,12:00:27 : InstallManager.dll has been updated in cached MSI Binary table.
03-19-2010,12:00:27 : Exiting PatchSetup.exe  

This error appears to be because it cannot find the file 4321f2a.msi in the installer folder.  I looked in that folder and indeed the file is not there.
Is there any way to force this install without the file it wants or do I have to fully reinstall Backup Exec?  All other users I could find with a similar problem fixed it by reinstalling. 

2 REPLIES 2

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
Hi there,

Look at clearing out all the temp data in your Temp folder, and make sure your BEWS temporary installs are also deleted (I think that is in Application Data under Documents and Settings\All Users).
Try it again. Failing that, you might have a corruption in that file...which would mean you downloading it again.
As far as I know, if it is missing a file, and the installation fails, then it needs that file. There would be no way to force the installer to ignore it...

Laters!

Shewolf_walks_a
Not applicable
After reading all the forums on admin passwords, clearing cache, etc. and none of it solving my issue of not being able to install Service Pack 5 - manually or by LiveUpdate - I finally came to an easy solution.

1) Perform repair installation of Backup Exec 11d using add/remove programs. ( I found my .msi package buried, had to do a search - but should be in similar location to: D:\BE11D\WINNT\INSTALL\)
2) Reboot server if required (often can skip this step until after service pack install).
3) Download Service Pack 5 from Symantec.
4) Manually install Service Pack 5. Symantec recommends you be logged on as account with admin privilegs, but can also right click and do the old "run as" if needed.
5) Completed.

Hope that helps!