cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 11D and EMC Celerra

Bryan_Sockel
Level 3
We recently upgraded from backup exec 9.1 directly to 11D. Prior to upgrading i was able to back up my EMC Celerra through the backup selection list. Now every time i attempt to make a selection of a SMB Share of the device i get a user authentication issue. Has anyone run into this and have some soft of resolution?

I have contacted my hardware vendor, because quite frankly i do not have 8 hours a day to stay on hold just in the hopes of actually speaking to someone. They Have checked the NDMP configuration, and appears to be correct. I have added the Nas device to the Backup Exec system and now shows up under my devices tab even though my Tape system is hooked directly to my backup server.

I am not seeing any errors in my windows event viewer or on my NAS device.

Thanks
4 REPLIES 4

Christopher_Hay
Level 2
I saw another thread that might help:

http://forums.symantec.com/discussions/thread.jspa?messageID=4465292�

It looks like NDMP might only be supported for NetApp Filers. Apparently disabling NDMP on the Celerra worked for this user and allowed backups to work like previous versions.

Does anyone have any word on NDMP support for other devices? I'm also trying to backup an EMC Celerra and would like to use NDMP.

Bryan_Sockel
Level 3
Thanks for the Info, according to EMC the data mover has to be restarted in order to kill the NDMP service. On alternate is to change the port the BUExec communicates on. To do this edit c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\services file and add the following Line:

ndmp Port Number/tcp # Network Data Management Protocol

You will need to do this on both the BU Server and all the remote services with Agents and the restart the services for this to work.

Christopher_Hay
Level 2
Just to make sure that I understand correctly, this means that you are NOT backing up the EMC over NDMP, right?

We didn't see that as a viable option because of the backup throughput. What speeds are you seeing with your configuration?

Thanks for the help,

Chris

Bryan_Sockel
Level 3
Off the EMC we are getting any ware form 500 MB/Min 1100 MB/MIN. It just depends on the volume that we are backing up.