cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 11D can't restore from old media

JFMilligan
Level 3
Hi

I have recently setup a new backup server with backup exec 11D Rev 6235 service pack 3, windows 2003.  Before we where using backup exec 10.  I was requested to do i restore from last year so i put the tapes (in which the backup was created on the old server using backup exec 10) in the slots and cataloged them on the new server.  The catalog seemed to run fine but when i tried to do a restore it said you must catalog the media first.  I can run restores fine from jobs which where created using the new server (backup exec 11D).
I have tried to catalog differents tapes in the new server (backup exec 11D) which where created using backup exec 10 but the same issue occures.  How do i catalog media ceated using backup exec 10 in backup exec 11D?

Any help would be great

Thanks Julie :)
4 REPLIES 4

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

Strange

Assuming that the drives are compatible, you should be able to insert an old tape, inventory, catalog, restore

Just for grins, try shutting down the BackuExec services, rename the \Catalogs directory (to \Catalogs.new for example) and restart BackupExec

A new, emply \Catalogs directory should be created.

Try the insert, inventory, catalog, select files for restore again

(Remember to swap the production catalog back into place before the next production run)

JFMilligan
Level 3
Hi Ken

Thanks for the quick Reply.  The drives are compatible as they are the same ones which where used on the old server.  I will get to try this next week after the full backups have completed, and post the results!

Thanks Julie :)

neil_richings1
Level 3
Ken that's a blast from the past ! 

Similiar situ here, running BE 12.5 on media server with no tape drives attached, backing up to overland disk based bup. This is so we can backup msx07

need/want to upgrade our tape attached BE 10 Server to 11d then 12.5 so we can get the MSX07 data.

question, we're running some restores (had mail server crash, 2/3rds of the way through restores now) and am conscious that while we're running the restores we're getting no new mail server data to tape, if we were to go the upgrade route from 10 to 12..5 to get MSX07 to tape, can we easily and simply then inventory, catalogue and restore BE 10 backed tapes ?

Thanks, N

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

If you upgrade your v10 server, then you should still have all your old catalog info when the v12.5 upgrade is complete