cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 11d - Exchange Agent no longer required?

Alan_Zak
Level 2
Hello, a company I work with recently received a version upgrade notification for Backup Exec from Symantec:

"Dear Symantec Customer :
We are pleased to offer you a new release of Backup Exec 11d Windows release. As a customer with current maintenance/subscription, you are entitled to this new release free of charge!"

I went through the rather non-intuitive process of obtaining updated license keys for the new version 11d of Backup Exec.

However, although the customer originally had purchased three components for Backup Exec 9.1 (the Window Server, Microsoft SQL Server Agent, and Microsoft Exchange Server Agent licenses), the only 11d keys I could obtain were for the Windows Server and SQL Agent components.

Does this mean that Exchange Agent functionality is now integrated into Windows Server?

This question is crucial before I attempt to update the company's Backup Exec from 9.1 to 11d, as they currently utilize the Exchange Agent for their backups.

Thanks!

-- Alan
4 REPLIES 4

Keith_Langmead
Level 6
No it's still a licensed item as far as I'm aware. Difficult to imagine a software company suddenly deciding give something away for free when it was chargable before hand!

Symantec have been having issues with their whole licensing system recently, so it might be that this is connected with those problems.

Don_Wilson
Level 2
I believe you still need to purchase the license, but you don't have to roll it out to a remote exchange server in 10 or 11 like you did in ver 9.

maxi_maximus
Level 4
Definitely still required. And Definitely not free unless as in your case you have a maintenance contract.

I agree with Keith on the licensing. Symantec have had some issues lately with it all and this is the most likely problem. You may want to contact you vendor or Symantec customer care to arrange for the license.

Also in regards to the agent its always installed on the Media server. If Exchange is remote you only need to push out the Backup Exec remote agent.

shweta_rege
Level 6
Hello,

Could you please Update us on the issue?

Thank You,

Shweta