cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 11d - Managed Media Servers not showing up in Media Servers tab, jobs won't run, etc.

Steven_Eversole
Level 4
I'm having a serious problem with BE.  I have 15 offices, each with a BE server (on Windows 2003).  Because of significant problems with our CASO (v6235), I decided to remove all of the Managed Media Servers to make them standalone.  I then upgraded each standalone BE server to v7170.  

Next, I made one of the servers the CASO (a different server than the previous CASO, which had database problems).  I then added each server to the CASO, but none of the servers show up in the "Media Servers" tab of the CASO.  I tried this using 3 different methods.  First I went to each Media Server, went to Tools-->Set Central Admin Server, restarted BE services, even rebooted, did not show up on CASO.  I then went to Tools-->License Keys and Installation, and uninstalled the Managed Media Server option, then reinstalled it, still did not show up in CASO.  I then used BEUtility to remove and re-add the servers to CASO, still didn't work.

Also, a couple related issues.  On the CASO, under the "Job Monitor" tab, all the jobs are listed, but under the Media Server column, there is nothing listed.  And on the "Job Status" column, they have a status of "Ready; Specified destination device pool is empty".  This is slightly incorrect, because the devices appear appropriately under the "Devices" tab.  I believe this is because the CASO and Managed Media Servers just aren't talking correctly.  On the Media Server itself, when going to Tools-->System Summary, the "Central Administration Server" is appropriately listed (NOT the old CASO, the new one).

Using BEUtility, I had added all of the Media Servers to "All Media Servers".  All of the servers display the "Managed Media Server" icon (with the blue wrench-looking thing), and going into Properties shows them as Managed Media Servers.  If I right-click any of the Media Servers and select "Move Device and Media Data to the Central Administration Server", I get the error:  "Could not move device and media data from managed media server MMS to central administration server CASO.  The central administration server CASO does not manage MMS.  Ensure that the central administration server is online, and then try again."  Could the Managed Media Servers still somehow be tied to the old CASO?

Because of this issue, I had to manually create all of the Policies on both the CASO and on each Managed Media Server, as well as the Selection Lists.  And until I get this going, I have to manually Remote Desktop into each Managed Media Server to check on the status of the backup jobs.  I'd sure love to fix this.  Anyone have any ideas?
11 REPLIES 11

Greg_Meister
Level 6
Engineering is currently working on a fix for this issue. Unfortunately, I do not have an ETA for how quickly it will be released. I do know it is currently a high-priority task for them, so hopefully, it will be available very soon. I would recommend that you open a support case if possible, so you can be assisted with a resolution as expediently as possible when the fix becomes available.

Regards,
Greg

Nicholas_Day
Level 2
I am also experiencing pretty much the exact same problem!!

The only difference being that we are running rev 6235 and not 7170.

Any help with this would be appreciated.

Many Thanks.

Network_Admi11
Level 3
I'm wondering if this has to do with daylight saving... our problems began last weekend with the time change.

sstanley
Level 2
I am also having this problem.  A couple of servers dropped into "No communications" over the weekend.  I tried to get the servers enabled again, even uninstalling everything and then reinstalling, and now the servers just don't show up in the managed media server list.  The server itself lists the correct CASO server.  I also am using rev 7170.

Network_Admi11
Level 3
seems my hunch was correct... looks like they just posted hotfix 27 which fixes some kind of date/time bug.

I installed it on our CAS and it fixed the problem.

sstanley
Level 2
Could you post a link to the file?

Network_Admi11
Level 3

Steven_Eversole
Level 4
Thank you guys!  I got the HF from Symantec yesterday, installed SP1 and all the other hotfixes last night.  Afterwards, I had to remove and re-add the MMS's to get it to show up on the CASO.  The tech told me that the fix is ONLY for 7170, and that they are not going to make one for 6235, so you will have to upgrade.  Also, you have to have SP1 and HF24 for the new hotfix to work...

cbr
Level 2
Would it be possible for someone to email me hotfix 27? (jjr329ATyahoo.com)  I have an open case #: 290885774, but my engineer has not gotten back to me.  I'd like to get this working before my weekend fulls. 

Thanks

Network_Admi11
Level 3
apparently they pulled it off the site... it was there earlier today...

WTF??

cbr
Level 2
Looks like it's back up. 
They released a notice earlier and it looks like the official hotfix:  http://entsupport.symantec.com/docs/293948

Unfortunately once I got a tech on the phone the final release wasn't ready and the copy he had was an orphaned release.  Unfortunately it didn't work for me and I now have to rebuild my MMS for the 3rd time this week. It was just a matter of bad timing with me changing domains and this issue going on at the same time.  Hopefully after the rebuild the official hotfix will work.