cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 11d Services Crash when attempting to open a Job Log

PcSysAdmin
Level 4
On occasion I have run into issues where Backup Exec creates Job History entries that are corrupt.  If you make the sad choice of attempting to open the log file it causes the Backup Exec Server services to crash.

Yep, somehow opening a log file causes the whole application, services, and such to just dump..

Screenshot time:

imagebrowser image

imagebrowser image (While it's attempting to load)
imagebrowser image

The lovely error..

Then.. the crash..
imagebrowser image
3 REPLIES 3

chicojrman
Level 6
Check the event logs (application and system logs) around the time of the crash. You might was to run a repair of BE or using BEUtility to run a repair of the database> Also i've seen this being an issue with .NET 2.0 or whatever version is now the latest you can repair that as well. If that doesn't fix your issue sounds as if the job could be corrupt, try creating a totally new job and run that and check the logs.

PcSysAdmin
Level 4

I went ahead and ran the BEUtility Database repair and checks and they all ran without issue.. When back into Backup Exec and tried pulling up the same log entry and WhamoOOO!!!!!  Crashes just like before.  What's sick about this is really. it's just a log entry..

I'm contemplating what you said abut .NET 2.0 but I'm not wanting to play with this because I've seen messing with .NET mess other applications pretty swell...  I just wish I knew if

The only messages I get in the Windows Event Viewer are:

System Log: 
Event ID: 7034
Source: Service Control Manager
Description:  The Backup Exec Server service terminated unexpectedly.  It has done this 7 time(s).

Application Log:
Event ID:  1000
Source:  Application Error
Description:  Faulting application beserver.exe, version 11.0.7170.58, faulting module beserver.exe, version 11.0.7170.58, fault address 0x00000000001f6c48.

You would really think the Job History Log Viewer wouldn't be tied in at the level where it could cause the rest of the Backup Exec Services to crash.. If it isn't the viewer that is causing it, then you would think the DB call to pull up the entry wouldn't cause it to crash..

PcSysAdmin
Level 4
I haven't had much success with this issue.. However, I did notice that the server it is installed on does need some Microsoft XML Core Services updates..
4.0 - KB954430
6.0 - KB954459

Even though these are security updates, maybe they will help.. I'll give it a try on the next server maintenance period and see if this makes a difference to BE's lovely Job History crash issue..