cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 11d Unable to restore individual emails to Exchange 2007

Vince_Wu
Level 3

Dear all,
I just encounter a problem and need your kindly help.
In my working environment, we use Symantec Backup Exec 11d to backup our users' inbox in Exchange Server 2007 (Win Server 2003 x64 standard). Of course we have  backup exec remote agent installed.
The backup is working fine. We backup information store to Backup exec media server disk first then schedule duplicate backup from disk to tape. However today I try to restore a user's email, I encounter an error:

"The job failed with the following error: To support individual mailbox message and folder restores from Information Store backups, you must download and install the Microsoft Exchange Server MAPI Client and Collaboration Data Objects package version 06.05.7888 or later on the Exchange 2007 server. This package can be found on the Microsoft web site."

From Microsoft, I downloaded "ExchangeMapiCdo.MSI" then installed on Exchange server. From "Add/Remove Programs", I can see the "MAPI and Collaboration Data Objects 1.2.1" version is 6.5.7974.0. Also, I have Exchange Management Tool installed on Backup Exec media server.

However, it does not work at all. I still got the same job failed message.

If anyone has suggestion, please let me know.

11 REPLIES 11

Sush---
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Please reboot both the servers and then try the restore as installation of MAPI/CDO requires restarting of te computer.

Thanks,

-Sush...

Mahesh_Roja
Level 6

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi Vince,

Are you trying to restore from disk or tape? If from tape, it is SYmantec's suggestion (prior to BE 2010 + BE 2010 R2) to duplicate your Exchange backup set to disk first, and then to restore from there when backing up using GRT.

Read up here if you are unsure of how to do it...

Craig

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/restoring-exchange-or-individual-mailboxesitems-usi...

CraigV

...he just said that he had downloaded the package and installed it...READ THE POST!!!

Vince_Wu
Level 3

Hi all,

Really appreciate all your suggestion :)

Sush,

Yesterday I had chance to reboot both servers. However the restore did not work. I found one thing insteresting that from "Add/Remove Programs", I can see the "MAPI and Collaboration Data Objects 1.2.1" version is 6.5.7974.0. But from my system32 folder, the "mapi32.dll" version is 1.0.2536.0. I don't know whether the "mapi32.dll" version cause this issue or not?

Craig,

Yes. I was trying to directly restore from Tape. I guess your suggestion may work since in the past, we also encountered problem when we tried to directly backup emails to Tape. So our vendor helped us configure a job. Backup Exec backup emails to disk firest then another duplicate job backup from disk to tape.

In this case, can you kindly give me some hints since I'm not sure how to restore from tape to disk first then restore the email.

Sincerely,

Vince

Vince_Wu
Level 3

Craig,

Yes. I was trying to directly restore from Tape. I guess your suggestion may work since in the past, we also encountered problem when we tried to directly backup emails to Tape. So our vendor helped us configure a job. Backup Exec backup emails to disk first then another duplicate job backup from disk to tape.

In this case, can you kindly give me some hints since I'm not sure how to restore from tape to disk first then restore the email.

Sincerely,

Vince

CraigV

Vince_Wu
Level 3

Hi Craig,

Nice post. Really appreciate it.

I will try this weekend and update later.

Vince

shri1
Level 2

Dear Craig,

Nice artical, it explain very well & that will help to all users.

Vince_Wu
Level 3

Hi Craig,

Unfortunately I have no luck even when tried to restore from image on disk.

I got the same error message again.

Is this possible that  MAPI version cause the issue?

Regards,

Vince

Sush---
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Well the MAPI version is also one of the possibility why this error may occur, You can uninstall the MAPI CDO from Add/Remove Programs... then reboot ths server and then install the latest version.

The link for latest version is as follows:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=e17e7f31-079a-43a9-bff2-0a110307611e&dis...

The version number for the latest MAPI CDO is  6.5.8165.0 

Thanks,

-Sush...