cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 11d and Remote Agent 2010

mike_cho
Not applicable

I purchased a new windows 2008 R2 server and I need to backup few files from this server.
However, my Backup Exec 11d won't connect to this server because the new server dosn't have BE remote agent on it.
I tried to purchase a new BE remote agent for the new server but, all vendors have BE remote agent 2010 only. 

Is this possible to add BE remote agent 2010 to Backup Exec 11d? 
If not, how can I add the new server to the backup list?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

You would need to first upgrade you media server to version 12.5 or higher to backup Windows 2008 servers.
The remote agent which you install on the remote server should be of same version that of your media server , So if you have remote agent installed for version 2010 and the media server is version 11d the backup would not work .
You can get the remote agent license for 2010 installed on the Backup exec 11d and can backup an additional remote server , but only not Windows server 2008 as it is not compatible ..
Hope this helps !!!

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified
Hi Mike

BE11d is not compatible with Win 2008 R2. Refer to http://support.veritas.com/docs/324303 

BE12.5 SP3 and above supports 2K8 R2 servers. Also BE2010 remote agent cannot communicate with BE11d.

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

You would need to first upgrade you media server to version 12.5 or higher to backup Windows 2008 servers.
The remote agent which you install on the remote server should be of same version that of your media server , So if you have remote agent installed for version 2010 and the media server is version 11d the backup would not work .
You can get the remote agent license for 2010 installed on the Backup exec 11d and can backup an additional remote server , but only not Windows server 2008 as it is not compatible ..
Hope this helps !!!

pkh
   VIP    Certified
You can get the remote agent license for 2010 installed on the Backup exec 11d and can backup an additional remote server

I doubt the BE 2010 licence key is compatible to BE 11d

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited
probably not, and also the BE 11d agent cannot be installed on Win2008R2 !

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified
To add to Rahul's post, Symantec has stopped selling license keys for BE11d, you will have to purchase BE2010 license key

and then you need to downgrade the license to the desired version (eg: BE11d or BE12.0) by contacting the license team.

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited
Windows 2008R2 is not on the Compatiblity list of Backup Exec 11d.
ftp://exftpp.symantec.com/pub/support/products/Backup_Exec_for_WindowsNT/286600.pdf

So downgrading the license key is not sufficient, you will need to update your environment to a newer Backup Exec version.