cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 11d and move tape to another slot

Happy_Monkey
Level 2
I'm using Backup Exec 11d with MSL2024 FC LTO-4 Library. The MSL2024 FC LTO-4 Library can put 24 tapes.

I partitioned the Library as follow:
A: (1 - 12) empty
B: (13 - 16) for Week 1 Backup (require keep 7 day backup)
C: (17 - 20) for Week 2 backup (require keep 7 day backup)
D: (21 - 24) for Monthly Backup (require keep 12 months backup)

On the first day of each month the file will backup to D(21 - 24). On another date, the file will backup to B(13 - 16) or C(17 - 20). Due to the backup data is more and more, D(21 - 24) is not enough capacity to keep 12 months backup. So I want to move the tape from D(21 - 24) to A(1 - 12), add two more tape to A(1 - 12), then set Monthly Backup to backup to A(1 -12).

Anyone can tell me how to do it?Hi Everyone,
7 REPLIES 7

pkh
   VIP    Certified
You just need to move the tapes into A and change your job(s) to target partition A, instead of D.

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

You ned to export the tape from Partion D to A ...or you can just recreated the partitions ,make the D partiton have enough tape so the job fit in the tape ...after configuring the partiton make sure the backup job are targeted to correct partition ...

pkh
   VIP    Certified
You ned to export the tape from Partion D to A

BE is not capable of doing this at one go.

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Backup Exec only supports Export to an output port/slot - or import from same.

As such to move a tape from one slot to another within a library you will have to do it with tools supplied by the hardware vendor (or on the front panel of the library itself.

After the move you will probably have to inventory or scan both slots involved so that Backup Exec is aware of the change of location.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

If there are a few tapes to move around, I find that it is much quicker  to open the magazines and shuffle them around and then do a scan/inventory

Happy_Monkey
Level 2

Hi Colin Weaver,

Thank you for your reply.

I don't know how to import and export the tap, can you explain more.

From the Devices Page of  Backup Exec, when i expan the Robotic Libraries and HP 1 (HP 1 is our LTO Library), under the HP1 there are 4 partiton, just like as follow:

- Robortic Libraries
  - HP 1
     - HP 2 [0001..0012]
     - HP 2 [0013..0016]
     - HP 2 [0017..0020]
     - HP 2 [0021..0024]

I select HP 2 [0021..0024], I will see the Slot 21,  Slot 22, Slot 23 and Slot 24 from the right hand side. when I select Slot 21, i will see "Import Media" and "Export Media".

Can I use these two functions to import and export the tape from Partition D to A?

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified
Larger libraries often have a special mail slot / export slot so that you can extract a tape from the library without opening the door of the library - this allows media manipulation without the need to re-initialize the whole library which can happen if you open the door. Smaller libraries don't have this ability/function.

The Backup Exec Import and Export functions basically allow movement from an internal slot to this special slot, or vice versa. I don't think you can use this functionality to help you though as I think you won't be able to use an Export imediately followed by an Import because there is potentially a requirement for some form of manual manipulation of the media in the special slot after an export before an import is allowed. i.e. the slot is an an eject phase and pending interaction with a person to reset it to a pending phase.

As such I think my original answer is you have tio manipulate with hardware vendor tools or the front panel still stands.