cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Patching MSSQL 2005 on Backup Exec Server?

Denda
Level 5
Good Morning -

Our DBA did a scan of SQL instances and is telling us that we must patch our Backup Exec Server, DB (BKUPEXEC) to the latest SQL ServicePack.  This does not make sense to me since this is not a full blown install of MSSQL however I tried it just to make the DBA happy and of course what I thought would happen did, the sp will update the tools and everything associated with the db, however it does not recognize the DB as needing to be updated.  Am I missing something or is this working as designed and I can just tell my DBA that this server does not fit the bill of his standards.  Thank you for your help.

9 REPLIES 9

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

As Backup Exec installs SQL Express you possibly need to download a specific SP for SQL Express?

RahulG
Level 6
Employee
Check if the following document helps
http://support.veritas.com/docs/319954

Dev_T
Level 6
Hello,

Please do not patch the SQL instance of Backup Exec, I faced huge issues after patching the SQL instance.

Dev_T
Level 6
any news?

Denda
Level 5
Hi Thanks.  I already had found that document prior to posting and it did not really help me out.  Thank you though.

Denda
Level 5
Hi There SQL Express does not recognize the db either.  I'm leaving it as is.  Thank you for your assistance.

Denda
Level 5
I have decided to not go down this road since it seems everything I do does not recognize the database to be upgraded.  So.. I guess I am following your advice, which makes alot of sense since I do not feel these types of embedded db's should be upgraded as the full product, but that is just my opinion.  If an upgrade becomes necessary on down the road perhaps we will need to upgrade the app and not just the db.  Thanks for your help.

SystemsAdminAS
Level 5
Denda,

I had issues earlier with our BE DB instance - In our case, I had installed BE when MS SQL2005 was still at SP2 (currently SP3).  Via Windows update, SP3 kept failing to install - the reason being that I did not use BE's normal embedded SQL 2005 Express Edition install and had set up its instance on the MSSQL 2005 standard install we already had (Symantec advised that using EE was preferable, and using any other version of MSSQL 2005 could cause issues).  Removing the instance and setting up BE's EE instance proved successful to clear this up.  Have been running on SP3 for close to a year now with 12.5.

Dev_T
Level 6
Please mark it as solution...