cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 11d not backing up on a Windows 2003 R2 Terminal Server

Emyr_Bateman
Level 2
Hi,

We have a Backup Exec 11d on a Windows 2003 R2 Terminal Server. Since it's installation, we have never had a backup from the software. We allways get the following error: -

The device, \Device\Scsi\adpu3202 did not respond in within the timeout period

I have contacted Dell (as it is a Dell server) who have tested the hardware a DAT72 drive and ran several backups using Windows Backup. They have assured me that it is not the hardware, but it is a software issue.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated

Cheers

Emyr
2 REPLIES 2

SRodriguez
Level 6
Employee Accredited
Hi Emyr
Usually when you get that type of time out errors are indications of problems with the hardware.   I will like you to check this Tech note and make the changes suggested specially the configuration on the SCSI controller.

How to resolve SCSI bus timeouts

Regards,

Sandra

Emyr_Bateman
Level 2
Hi Sandra,

Thanks for your reply. I have already gone through that article with Dell support before they ran the Windows backup after they did some diacnostic tests. The strange thing is, if we uninstall Backup Exec, and run Windows backup everything works as it should. When we put Backup Exec back on to the server, Backup Exec hangs with that reported error.

One question, is Backup Exec compatible with Terminal Server running in application mode? I have installed Backup Exec since the 7.5 days and this is the first time I have ever have come accross this error and it is the first time that I have installed it on a Terminal Server.

Cheers

Emyr