cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 11d single mailbox restore on Exchange 2003

domelsnake
Level 2

Hello

As in the subject I am trying to restore a single mailbox on Exchange 2003. I am using tapes and in the properites of the backup job have that option selected for Microsoft Exchange.

I have selected 1 folder with about 20 emails and run restore jub.

My qestion is:

What is the procedure of the restore job as I have run test restore and in 5min restored more that 1GB of data but mailbox is less that 700MB so I cancelled that as I thought it will restore everything from my tape.

Thanks for any help

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi there,

When restoring from tape, BE will temporarily, and automatically, stage the entire Information Store to disk. The default location is C:\temp. You'd need enough disk space available in C:\temp to stage Exchange too, otherwise you can change this under: Tools --> Options --> Exchange, and put in a folder location with enough disk space to hold the IS.

You can also get around this by duplicating to disk first, and then restoring from there. Doing so gets around any issues you might get when restoring from tape. What tends to happen is that you run into an issue onthe tape, and the entire process has to start again. Having it on disk makes things a lot quicker.

If you don't know how to, you can read up on my article below and try the same steps:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/restoring-exchange-or-individual-mailboxesitems-usi...

Thanks!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

CraigV

Hi there,

When restoring from tape, BE will temporarily, and automatically, stage the entire Information Store to disk. The default location is C:\temp. You'd need enough disk space available in C:\temp to stage Exchange too, otherwise you can change this under: Tools --> Options --> Exchange, and put in a folder location with enough disk space to hold the IS.

You can also get around this by duplicating to disk first, and then restoring from there. Doing so gets around any issues you might get when restoring from tape. What tends to happen is that you run into an issue onthe tape, and the entire process has to start again. Having it on disk makes things a lot quicker.

If you don't know how to, you can read up on my article below and try the same steps:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/restoring-exchange-or-individual-mailboxesitems-usi...

Thanks!

RRE
Level 6

HI there .

As you have indicated that you are running backups to tape . Your restore procedure will be as follows

1 ) You have to go to the restore job & expand the database ----- expand the user whose emails has to be restored & then select the appropriate folder ( which contain 20 emails)

Because the database is present on a tape, This will not be a direct restore 

Procedure 1) It will go to a staging process & will stage the entire database to a temp location

( this can be changed. If you create a new restore job. click on the Advanced tab under settings & change the location to a drive which has enough space). The location has to be local NTFS volume

Procedure 2) Once the staging is completed , then the actual restore process will take place & that will restore the emails 

Note -  Whenever you run a grt restore from tape , 1st process will be staging & then it will do the restore. It is Obvious that byte count will increase as it is going to stage the entire database to a temp location.

If this backup was present on a Disk , this would have been a direct restore ( no staging )

domelsnake
Level 2

That is great.

Thanks guys

domelsnake
Level 2

Hello again

I have run restore job today. Restored whole inbox for the specyfic user (this is what I choosed from selection list). After 1:30h the restore job has been completed.

I have removed her mailbox from the local PC and re-added it but still can not see the folders which were missing but which are in the backup tape.

What could cause this??

Edit:

Sorry guys.

All sorted. Now I can see all folders again.

Thanks one more time for your help

CraigV

...great stuff...please close this off by marking the relevant solution if any post helped.