cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 11d

david_p2
Level 2
 I had to re-install backup exec 11d do to C drive filling up.  I installed it on D and uninstalled from C but now do not have the correct Serial Number.  I am on the evaluation version which will end soon.  The PDF file sent from Symantec isn't the backup exec serial number but a free version of System Recovery Desktop 7.  I suspect the old IT company used a version that was registered under their name so I need to find out where they keep the serial numbers in the registry.  I contacted Symantec and they only have the system recovery serial number.  Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
David
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

p_jean
Level 3
 hi david,
Unfortunately NOT.

The license information is stored in the registry at HKLM\Software\Symantec\Backup Exec for Windows\Common\Backup Exec\12.5

in the AK,LO,MLO,O keys,but in a form that you will not be able to use

Jean

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Ben_L_
Level 6
Employee
The serial numbers are not stored in the registry. Look for a file called besernum.xml on the system.  I am suspecting that since you have uninstalled and re-installed the file has been overwritten though.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

if Ben is correct and you have re-written the default BESERNUM file during re-install, and if you cannot find your documentatuion, you can always restore that file from a backup before the move

p_jean
Level 3
 Look for BESERNUM.XML on your computer for the old installation

It will have the serial number if its still there

You will not be able to get the number in the registry

Jean

david_p2
Level 2
 I checked teh BESERNUM.XML and all it showed was 

<?xml version="1.0" ?> 
  <SerialNumbers /> 

There has got to be a way to find the old serial number besides that xml file.

Ben_L_
Level 6
Employee
At this point if you don't have a backup of the system that contains the file you may need to contact the company you got the software from to get the serial numbers.  The serial numbers are not stored anywhere else on the system.

p_jean
Level 3
 hi david,
Unfortunately NOT.

The license information is stored in the registry at HKLM\Software\Symantec\Backup Exec for Windows\Common\Backup Exec\12.5

in the AK,LO,MLO,O keys,but in a form that you will not be able to use

Jean