cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 12.0.4 Fails on missing file

JesseButch
Level 2

I run Backup Exec 7 days a week and sometimes it fails because it can't find a file because it is missing.  The problem is staff runs a lot of programs that create temporary files that remove themselves by the time Backup Exec actually wants to back them up.  I would like Backup Exec to skip any missing files and complete the backup.  Completed jobs are very important due to the fact we must summit these reports to upper & corporate management. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

JesseButch
Level 2

Updates where set to reboot servers between 1am & 3am and this is the reason the backup would fail.  Microsoft updates were automatically rebooting the servers after a update right at the time Backup Exec was trying to access the server which caused Backup Exec to fail.

I have changed the update schedule on certain servers to avoid this issuse in the future.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

what do your selections look like?

If they look like  (edit the selection list, choose Text View)

path   E:\

files    *.*

include subdir

The backup should dynamically grab all files on the share/drive

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

I think the problem here is that a selection list of exactly what to backup is built when the job starts but by the time the backup gets to the actual folder containing the files, the user activity has removed the file in question.

If these files really are temp and have some form of common naming or common extension then you might want to consider using an exclude filter - but ONLY do this if you know important files are never going to be missed by using the filter.

JesseButch
Level 2

This solution does not solve my issue because the file (extensitons) are different.  I have solved the issue for now by having this user log off his computer off before he leaves.  The user leaves it on to access programs from home, but he didn't know he could access them with the computer logged off.  Symantec should have a feature that continues the backup when a file cannot be found.  The completed backup is more important than a couple of missing files.

JesseButch
Level 2

Updates where set to reboot servers between 1am & 3am and this is the reason the backup would fail.  Microsoft updates were automatically rebooting the servers after a update right at the time Backup Exec was trying to access the server which caused Backup Exec to fail.

I have changed the update schedule on certain servers to avoid this issuse in the future.