Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 12/14

Automation2015
Level 4
Partner

Hi Experts,

I have few queries related to media mangement process.

Once my backup starts will it directly pick the scratch media from the scratch pool and write it to the destination pool mentioned in policy?Or i ahve to move the media from scratch pool to dstination pool?

Once the media are loaded we need to import and run the inventory to detect the medias in library is my understanding correct.

In the scratch media one tab dispalys as overwritable and the other shows it as unappendable and it is sratch tape.As per my understanding the backup will run using that tape as there is no data written on that tape.Kindly correct me if i am wrong.

Regards

Automation

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

Once my backup starts will it directly pick the scratch media from the scratch pool and write it to the destination pool mentioned in policy?Or i ahve to move the media from scratch pool to dstination pool?

BE will pick up the media from scratch media set if it does not find the desired media in any other set. 

Once the media are loaded we need to import and run the inventory to detect the medias in library is my understanding correct.

If you are using a Robotic Library and if the media is in the slot then just run an inventory from BE console

In the scratch media one tab dispalys as overwritable and the other shows it as unappendable and it is sratch tape.As per my understanding the backup will run using that tape as there is no data written on that tape.Kindly correct me if i am wrong.

It depends on how you configure the backup job.

If you configure Backup Job to overwrite then it will look for a Tape which is overwritable 

If you configure a job to append then BE will search for an appendable media

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

AmolB

BE will pick up the media from scratch media set if it does not find the desired media in any other set. 

If you are using a Robotic Library and if the media is in the slot then just run an inventory from BE console

It depends on how you configure the backup job.

If you configure Backup Job to overwrite then it will look for a Tape which is overwritable 

If you configure a job to append then BE will search for an appendable media

Colin_Weaver

The admin guide contains a table showing exactty how Backup Exec (BE) chooes media to overwrite.

Once media has been identified then if it is in a different media set (Scratch or specific named set) then BE will move it to the set specified in the backup job - do not move it manually, it is better to let Backup Eec mve it when it needs to.

Whether or not a tape is appendable only applies to jobs set to start as append (and only applies to the first tape used by such jobs)

If you have jobs set to start as append, as long as the switch to overwite if no appendable available is set then BE will find and use overwritable media if it needs to (so can take from scratch)

Media in the scratch set is never  appendable (by design) as tapes containing current backup data cannot remain in this set requiring an overwrite to automatically move it to another set.

SInce BE 2012 - The above only applies to tapes (disks now are handled differently)