cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 12.5 Exchange 2007 (GRT) gives Access Denied errors but it does not make sense.

ldenes
Level 3

Hi,

I have been working with Backup Exec for many years now and this is the first time I am truly stumped.
We backup an Exchange 2007 Server (using the Backup Exec 12.5 agent + Symantec Backup Exec Exchange Agent) to our Backup server running Backup Exec 12.5 Both systems are in the same domain and backup through a maintenance subnet (using a different dedicated NIC/Network segment). All our other backups are setup in the same manner and they all run okay. We previously backed up Exchange (with GRT mailbox and individual mail restore capabilities) with a locally installed version of Backup Exec 11d. It backed up everything locally and then a 2nd backup job sent it to our DD510 NAS device. This worked flawlessly and nothing has changed on the Exchange side except that we uninstalled the full Backup Exec 11d (with all reboots) and pushed the Backup Exec 12.5 agent to it from thededicated backup server and it went over without a hitch.

Backup Server is running Windows 2003 Standard (64bit) SP2
Hotfix: 324947, 317436, 325647, 319242, 324012, 326004, 323894, 324011 (I have not installed the newest one's because of the issue we are having: missing 327135, 328459, 328462, 329045)

Exchange 2007 (SP1) is running on Windows 2003 Standard (64bit) SP2

I keep seeing this error when we attempt to backup the Exchange Storage Group.

Job ended: Thursday, August 20, 2009 at 11:39:33 PM
Completed status: Failed
Final error: 0xe0008488 - Access is denied.
Final error category: Security Errors
For additional information regarding this error refer to link V-79-57344-33928
Backup- \\172.xx.xx.x\Microsoft Information Store\First Storage Group Access denied to file Logs.
Error writing file data.
Access denied to file Logs.
Error writing file data.
Error writing file data.
Error writing file data.
Error writing file data.

I have verified that the MAPI/CDO (correct version) is installed on Ex 2007 and the Ex 2007 Management Tools are installed on the Backup Server.

We use the same accounts for other backup jobs and they work. I can attach to the Exchange server through Backup Exec with no issues (albeit a bit slow at times to see everything).

The Storage Group is backed up using the Administrator (domain) account and it is unqiue as an account in the domain and as a mailbox on Exchange.

Outlook is not installed (nor has ever been) on either machine.

NOW the very odd thing is that I can backup (using same credentials, location, source, destination, settings, etc...) the Storage group alone (with job launched manually) and achieve 100% success (with restore of individual e-mails working) and I can backup the Exchange server selections (C:, D:, System State, etc...) on it's own and it is okay. However, if I back them up together the errors above appear. I am attaching two log files. One of the Info Storage Group backup on it's own (success) and the combined one (failure). PLEASE HELP I AM TOTALLY LOST on this one.

Thanks a million in advance.

L

6 REPLIES 6

Dev_T
Level 6
Hello,

Please go through the following technotes:

http://support.veritas.com/docs/289649

http://support.veritas.com/docs/314471

ldenes
Level 3
Thanks Dev.

I have verified everything in the two tech articles and note that the account has enough privileges (as stated before) as it runs the context of all our other backups AND the Exchange 2007 backup job runs fine IF I run it manually (tested multiple times and restore works as well) and only fails on a schedule. The dll are the right versions as well.

L

be2009
Level 3

ldenes,

Have you found a solution for your problem, because I'm having exactly same. It started out of nothing, and I'm running it manually until I can find a solution.

Thank you

DominikG
Level 6
Partner Accredited

At the moment problem backing up Exchange 2007 are exploding. It is simply a mess.
Some things that could help:

make sure:

BE server is up to date (OS and BE)
Exchange is up to date (OS & Exchange & RAWS)
MS Patch 940349 is installed

Please also make sure that:

- The exchange maintenance shedule is not set to run at the time a backup runs (they must not run at the same time, please make sure backup is finished when exchange maintenance starts)
- That the information store is the first ressource being backed up

On the BE Server:

- How to Set the /3GB Startup Switch in Windows
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb124810.aspx

best regards

Dominik

RahulG
Level 6
Employee
Make sure you  update the remote agent on the exchange server after installing the updates ..
http://support.veritas.com/docs/324011

ldenes
Level 3
It had, as I suspected, nothing to do with the Backup Exec 12.5 installation or the agents. Although I did update everything, but then again that seems to be the standard response to a lot of issues in the forum. :(

Fortunately, I contacted a SENIOR Symantec Engineer who suggested that it may be the o/s version of the Data Domain 510 deduplexing unit we are using as our target repository. After the upgrade to version 4.6.3.7 (from 4.5.1.2), courtesy of Data Domain technical, the backups now run smoothly directly to the DD510 unit without the need to backup locally to an NTFS share on the backup server and then utilize a 'duplicate' job to push it to the DD510 which was my temporary working solution. Thanks!