cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 12.5 Exchange Datastores

ActlabsITGuys
Level 2

I'm encountering an issue when backing up my datastores for Exchange 2007.

Whenever the backup job starts and during the "Snapshot processing" stage our Exchange server stops sending/receiving mail.

I thought the purpose of creating a snapshot and performing the backup from the snapshot was to not interfere with the operation of the excahnge server.

Circular logging is disabled on the datastores and the only way to recover from this is to restart the Exchange server.

Does anyone have any insight into this, or perhaps have experienced this before?

6 REPLIES 6

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Check if you met the requirements for BE 12.5 and Exchange 2007:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH51740

Also check if any messages appear in the eventlog of the Exchange and Backup Exec media server.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

Are you using AOFO in your job? If so, turn it off and try again.

Thanks!

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Also our snapshot request is via the Microsoft VSS writer for Exchange, so are all the Exchange and Operating System VSS updates applied?

ActlabsITGuys
Level 2

Are you using AOFO in your job? If so, turn it off and try again.

No we are not using this option during the backup.

Also our snapshot request is via the Microsoft VSS writer for Exchange, so are all the Exchange and Operating System VSS updates applied?

And yes I believe our VSS is up to date.  When checking the file vssapi.dll the version number is 6.0.6002.18005.  Our exchange server is running SP3.  When checking for Windows Updates, nothing is listed to download.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

BE would call VSS for the backup, so if the VSS writer is in error, then most times the only way to solve this is to restart the server unfortunately.

Is BE fully up-to-date itself, and are your RAWS agents on your remote servers up-to-date too?

What happens if you create a new selection list and job for testing purposes...same error?

Lastly...has this been a continuous issue, or is it new?

Thanks!

Backup_Exec1
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Hi

I would suggest to upgrade to BE2010 R3 on first place by consulting with licensing department and check whether it will be free upgrade or paid upgrade for you.

BE12.5 doesn't support exchange 2007 sp3 but BE2010 R3 do support it.

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH62301

Please check below link to download BE2010 R3 ,this would be single ISO file of 3.47 gb once downloaded please install on top of BE12.5 for inpkace upgrade and then install sp2 and other updates using live update and then update your remote agent on remote server to ensure they are on same level and then perform backup again

http://trialware.norton.com/files/fc/Backup_Exec_2010_13.0.5204_MultiPlatforms_Multilingual_DVD.iso

Hope that helps

Thanks