cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrading to BE 2010 R3

Triven
Level 4

If i was to upgrade Backup Exec 2010 to Backup Exec 2010 R3 will it keep my current backup jobs and selection lists, schedules etc??

Or will i have to re-create all backups jobs etc again?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

SuperBrain
Employee Accredited

Upgrade from Backup Exec 2010 to Backup Exec 2010 R3 will keep all your current jobs, settings, selections, schedules, catalogs, licenses, etc

Post successful upgrade you will however also need to:

a. Run Live update a couple of times to make sure Backup Exec 2010 R3 is fully patched with the latest service pack and/or hotfix

b. Re-install all Remote Agents for Windows System (on remote machines)

Also, i'd recommend a little precaution before you begin upgrade - Backup the current Data and Catalogs folder.
1. Go to services console and Stop alll Backup Exec services (including the SQL service)
2. Go to the Backup Exec install directory (usually C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec)
3. Locate and Copy following two folders from the above location:
        - Data
        - Catalogs
4. Paste them on a different location (like different volume/machine) as a backup.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

SuperBrain
Employee Accredited

Upgrade from Backup Exec 2010 to Backup Exec 2010 R3 will keep all your current jobs, settings, selections, schedules, catalogs, licenses, etc

Post successful upgrade you will however also need to:

a. Run Live update a couple of times to make sure Backup Exec 2010 R3 is fully patched with the latest service pack and/or hotfix

b. Re-install all Remote Agents for Windows System (on remote machines)

Also, i'd recommend a little precaution before you begin upgrade - Backup the current Data and Catalogs folder.
1. Go to services console and Stop alll Backup Exec services (including the SQL service)
2. Go to the Backup Exec install directory (usually C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec)
3. Locate and Copy following two folders from the above location:
        - Data
        - Catalogs
4. Paste them on a different location (like different volume/machine) as a backup.

Triven
Level 4

Hi SuperBrain, Thanks for the quick response.

I assume i can run the install over the top of the current Backup Exec 2010 without having to uninstall it? Will this require a server reboot? I

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

Yes you can run an inplace upgrade there is no need to uninstall existing setup.

A reboot is required post upgrade. I would also suggest you to run live update post upgrade to install

all the latest updates.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

BEFORE upgrading, stop your BE services & grab copies of the Data/Catalogs folders. This allows a manual roll-back if there is an issue during the upgrade!

Thanks!

Triven
Level 4

Thanks everyone, All sorted, ran fine without a hitch.