cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 12.5 Jobs Do Not Finish!

wingsnotarms
Level 3

Hello! Please help! 

I am running Backup Exec 12.5 Revision 2213 on a Windows Server Standard FE SP2 x64. 

The backups run to an HP C5683A 3 1/2" tape drive.

The backups have run daily, for years, without almost any incident until this week. For no apparent reason, the nightly backups are showing as still running the following day. The byte count shows a full backup has run, but the Job Status is still in a running state. the only way i can stop the job is by killing the Backup Exec Job Engine service. 

On a few separate occasions the job status showed as "On Hold" all night, but ran without a hiccup once i manually ran it. 

Any takers?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

lmosla
Level 6
Make sure your backup job has the option "Eject Media After Job Completes" selected. and I have seen this before resolved by installing this hotfix. http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH64597

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

lmosla
Level 6
Hi, are there any alerts that need responding to?

wingsnotarms
Level 3

no, there are no alerts to respond to. the job simply looks as though it's still running, but the byte count has stopped accumulating.

lmosla
Level 6
Do you have any errors in the Windows Event log during the time of the backup job? and does this also happen if you use a B2D folder?

wingsnotarms
Level 3

Yes, in the event log I'm seeing "Please remove the media from the drive" every 15 mins from about the time it should take to complete the job. The job is scheduled to eject the tape after the job is complete, and I have not made any changes to it since it was created. 

I have not tried a B2D yet. 

lmosla
Level 6
Make sure your backup job has the option "Eject Media After Job Completes" selected. and I have seen this before resolved by installing this hotfix. http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH64597

wingsnotarms
Level 3

The "Eject Media After Job Completes" option is selected.

LiveUpdate shows that "There are no more products than can be updated by LiveUpdate", and the hotfix you suggested is not listed in the Installed Updates. 

Is it possible to manually download and install the hotfix outside of LiveUpdate for 12.5?

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

It is...you just need to head to the BE support site and filter for BE 12.5, and then download the specific HF/SP.

Thanks!

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

If there is an event logged about "Please remove the media from the drive", there should be alerts from Backup Exec as well.. From Tools - Options - Preferences, do ensure the option to automatically display new alerts is checked.

Some tape units do not support automatic eject of the media..In this case, you may configure automatic response using http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH23213

wingsnotarms
Level 3

Thank You! Mission accomplished!