cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 12.5 - Jobs failing with hardware error

workhorse
Level 0

Hi,.

For the last 3 weeks or so backups are failing intermittently with hardware error

Job Log: BEX_GTX-DUB-FS_04685.xml

Backup- D: 
Storage device "IBM 1" reported an error on a request to write data to media. Error reported: The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error. V-79-57344-34029 - A hardware error occurred.

Verify
Storage device "IBM 1" reported an error on a request to read data from media. Error reported: Incorrect function. V-79-57344-34030 - An invalid command was sent to the storage device.

I have ran all the tape diagnostics etc and everything passes fine.

If you look at the attached screenshot it almost always errors at a simliar stage of the backup.

Is it possible corrupt files are to blame here?
I dont have much experience with 12.5 How do I dig deeper in to this and see where it failed in more detail.

Any other suggestions would be great. I need this working again qucikly.

Thanks

1 REPLY 1

Larry_Fine
   VIP   

What is "IBM 1" and how is it connected?

If it has been working fine for all these many years, it wouldn't be surprising if it is worn out.  I would certainly focus on the tape drive, the cable & the HBA.  Are the firmware versions current or have they been changed lately?

If something was wrong with the data, then I would expect the backup to fail every time, unless the files are flip-flopping states.