cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 12.5 - Lost SQL DB

admin19
Level 2

I'm using Backup Exec 12.5 - We have a server with 2 disk arrays.  1x RAID0 for the OS, and 1x RAID5 for the data.

We lost the RAID5.  The SQL DB for Backup Exec was stored on the RAID5.  I open backup exec and it won't start because it can't start the SQL services, because the database doesn't exist anymore.

Is there a way for me to reinstall backup exec on the OS partition, including a fresh DB, then have it import the catalog from a tape, as to be able to restore the data from the tapes that we have?

Thanks!

4 REPLIES 4

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Couple of options. If the original Data directory exists on the OS partition, then you could reload the DB from base without reinstalling BE - http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH23769

If this is not available, you'll have to uninstall the existing setup, reinstall it as a fresh installation. Post an inventory and catalog of the tapes, you would be able to restore. If your existing Catalogs folder is intact, you could try importing the catalogs into the new install and just an inventory should be OK. http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH68896

Sush---
Level 6

Hello there,

If Backup Exec database is lost you should still be able to start the SQL service. It seems that you have lost the SQL System Databases (Master, Model,..).

Please paste the error from the Event viewer that is recorded when starting SQL SERVER (BKUPEXEC) service fails to start.

I suppose repairing SQL should also help in this case.

Regards,

-Sush...

admin19
Level 2

It says path not found.  I agree, it's pretty much all been lost.

The Backup Exec Device & Media Service service depends on the SQL Server (MSSQLSERVER) service which failed to start because of the following error:
The system cannot find the path specified.

Does this install with backup exec or is this a pre-req?

Can I just install a fresh version of SQL, a fresh version of Backup Exec, then import the catalog folder from the current install?

.:Edit:.

I still have "bedb_dat.mdf" and "bedb_log.ldf" under C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\Data.

I am assuming this is my Backup Exec DB, and I just need to reinstall SQL and import this DB back into it...

Sush---
Level 6

Hello there,

Repair installation of SQL should help here.

If you try to install another instance with same name then it will fail. Also installing a another instance and giving it a new name will not help to move the database.

Try to perform repair installation of SQL.

Regards,

-Sush...