cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 12.5 SP3

ssingletary
Level 2
All -

When installing or pushing out SP3 does it require a reboot on Windows 2000 / 2003 Servers ?

Thanks

Steve S.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hemant_Jain
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

It should work without reboot. Backups should funtion without issue. I do not see any hotfix in SP3 which might make a reboot mandatory. If some device issues appear, you might have to reboot, else it is safe to go ahead without a reboot.

Please mark it a solution, if this is useful.
Thanks

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

Hemant_Jain
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

It should work without reboot. Backups should funtion without issue. I do not see any hotfix in SP3 which might make a reboot mandatory. If some device issues appear, you might have to reboot, else it is safe to go ahead without a reboot.

Please mark it a solution, if this is useful.
Thanks

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
The only time you will need a reboot is when pushing out your Remote Agent to your servers like you should do once your media server is patched.
That doesn't happen all the time though, and depends on what patches are applied through the BEWS RAWS upgrade.

Wellsoft
Level 4
I am about to apply SP3 to Windows 2003 boxes......will I be able to stop/start the BE services versus a reboot on the remote agent boxes? I hope so or I can't update due to having to schedule the boots.....is it better for me to copy the directory to each remote and update form there versus pushing from the media server? I have no tape devices involved.

CraigV
Hi,

Open this as a new call...more people will check it out.

Laters!

Lively
Level 5
When I pushed out agents from one of the BE servers when it went to SP3 I did not have reboot the remote servers.

CraigV
Well...depends. If you have AOFO installed you will have too if it is updated through the push install.

CTate-G360
Level 2
I am getting ready to update my Media Server to SP3. For those that have done it, when the remote agents are upgraded, did anyone run into a reboot required on any of their SQL or Exchange server instances? 

Do I need to update the remote agents immediately after the update or can BE12.5SP3 peacefully co-exist with the older SP1 remote agents until they get upgraded? 

TIA,

-=Craig T

CTate-G360
Level 2
Anyone? I cant think that I am the first person with a 12.5 SP1 media server and Exchange 2003! ;) 

Does anyone know if after I upgrade to SP3 on the media server, do I need to immediately replace the SP1 agents on the remote servers, or can I leave them and stage the upgrades? 

Also, when updating the agent on an Exchange 2003 server, willl the upgrade force the server to need to be rebooted? or can I remotely deploy the new SP3 agent from the media server without worrying about a reboot?

Thanks in advance!
-=Craig

CraigV
Hi,

Log it as a new query in the forums...
What I can tell you is that upgrading from SP2 to SP3 saw no reboots on my side of the media server. Upgrading some agents (mainly with AOFO) saw a couple needing reboots, but it will work without the reboots. You will simply get Completed with Exceptions as your status.
Symantec recommend upgrading the RAWS agents on your remote servers immediately after upgrading an SP...it is on their website dealing with any specific SP.

Craig