cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error Code E00084EC

ycesur
Level 3
Hi all,

I have Backup Exec12.5 running on Windows Storage Server 2003 x64 R2 SP2 Standard Edition. I have installed the Backup Exec Service Pack 2 and Hotfix 324011about 10 days ago. Since then I started receiving the following errrors with above error code in the notification emails.:

A tape read/write error has occurred. This is usually caused by dirty read/write heads in the tape ...
V-79-57344-34028 - A tape read/write error has occurred. This is usually caused by dirty read/write...
A selection on device \\MELFILE\Utility Partition was skipped because of previous errors with the jo...
A selection on device Shadow?Copy?Components was skipped because of previous errors with the job.

Backup- MELFILE Storage device "IBM 1" reported an error on a request to read data from media.
Error reported:
Incorrect function.
V-79-57344-34030 - An invalid command was sent to the storage device.

Verify Storage device "IBM 1" reported an error on a request to read data from media.
Error reported:
Incorrect function.
V-79-57344-34030 - An invalid command was sent to the storage device.
_________ I cleaned the tape head every day for the last 8 backup days and I used a brand new tape last weekend with no luck. I did not touch the server before and after the Backup Exec update so it cannot be a hardware (cable, terminator etc. problem) and there is no nerwer updates available for this platform. Can anyobody give me any ideas on how to fix this problem please? Should I uninstall Service Pack 2 and Hotfix? Kind Regards, Yilmaz Cesur.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

ycesur
Level 3
Hi everyone,

I forgot to say that I had resolved this issue after Dell sent me updated drivers.

Thanks all anyway.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
I'd start with the Hotfix. Uninstall it, and see if you can get a backup through.

ycesur
Level 3
Hi Craig,

Thanks for the comment. I tried it but unfortunately there is no option to uninstall the Hotfix or the service pack neither within Backup exec nor in "Ad Remove Programs" in Control Panel.

Dell was the supplier of all hardware and software and they have provided driver and firmware updates which I will install this weekend to see if they will fix the problem.

The backup is actually working but it gives me a faulty report saying that the head is dirty and it does eject the tape so I have to clean the tape head every day.

Thanks again,

Regards,

Yilmaz..

ycesur
Level 3
Hi everyone,

I forgot to say that I had resolved this issue after Dell sent me updated drivers.

Thanks all anyway.