cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 12.5 and SQL 2005

SmithP
Level 3
Hello all

first off Backup Exec is running on Windows 2003 Server Standard.  last week we updated our SQL server from 2000 to SQL 2005.  since we did this i am not able to backup SQL while it is running. i keep getting the below error.

any ideas?

thanks in advance.

Exceptions
Click an exception below to locate it in the job log
Backup- FSE1V-79-57344-65268 - AOFO: Initialization failure on: "***". Advanced Open File Option used: Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS).
V-79-10000-10896 - SQL Prepare for Freeze failed for snapshot.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Dev_T
Level 6
25 REPLIES 25

Dev_T
Level 6
Hello,

Install the VSS rollup patch http://support.microsoft.com/kb/940349 (REBOOT REQUIRED) on the SQL server.

SmithP
Level 3
I installed rollup and rebooted the server we still have the same issue.

Dev_T
Level 6
Hello,

Solution 1:
Create a backup job of all the resources on the SQL Server without AOFO selected:
1. On the Backup Job Properties pane, under Settings, click Advanced Open File.
2. Deselect the option "Use Advanced Open File Option" during SQL backups and re-run the backup.

Solution 2:
Create a separate backup job of just the SQL Databases without AOFO selected in the job properties.  Create another job of all the resources except the SQL Databases with AOFO selected.  Make sure both jobs are scheduled to run at different times.

Please note:  The SQL VSS Writer backups will usually fail because of the amount of resources VSS is attempting to snap at once, because SQL has a maximum amount of system resources allocated to it, heavy disk fragmentation, lack of available memory, CPU, etc...  It is also not necessary to backup SQL Databases with AOFO (SQL VSS Writer), unless it is only desired to restore the entire SQL Instance (all databases) at once from that type of backup.

Hope this helps !!!

SmithP
Level 3
i found that before i posted on these forums.  i need AOFO on to backup the Database while its in use.  the only other way i know of to backup SQL useing Backup Exec 12.5 is to shut down SQL server then back it up but that is not an option here that is why we purchased Backup exec. but now i cannot do that since we upgraded to SQL server 2005.

Dev_T
Level 6
Hello,

Create a backup job of the SQL only selecting AOFO

SmithP
Level 3
thanks for takeing the time to try and help me Dev T. 

I have created a Backup Job for SQL only, useing AOFO and still outputs the same error.     

Dev_T
Level 6
ohh...Let me research....i will definitely get back to you in couple of minutes....

In the mean time please check the status of writers on the SQL server by running the following command in the DOS prompt
VSSADMIN LIST WRITERS
All the Writers must show stable

Please check the version of beremote.exe on the Media Server and the SQL Server

Dev_T
Level 6
Hello,

Please look into this:
http://support.veritas.com/docs/304288

SmithP
Level 3
I Reassociated the DLL and still no luck.  still gives me the same error as above.

Dev_T
Level 6
Hello,

Could you please run SGMON and attach the file

http://support.veritas.com/docs/190979

Dev_T
Level 6
Hello,

Run SGMON and then re-run the job

http://support.veritas.com/docs/190979

Could you please attach the SGMON log file

Dev_T
Level 6
Give me couple of minutes to read the logs

Dev_T
Level 6
Hello,

Run the job again with SGMON selecting the following options:
1  : Job Engine, RAWS, Agent Browser
2  : Backup Exec Server
3  : Device and Media
4  : VxMon

The previous SGMON did not show up the required output.

I guss its not a SQL cluster.

Dev_T
Level 6
The last option will be to uninstall and reinstall the remote agent in the following manner:

Uninstall the remote agent on the SQL server.
1  : On the Backup Exec Server
       C:\Program files\Symantec \Backup Exec\Agents......Copy 2 folders RAWS32 and MSXML on the SQL server on a seperate folder(I believe its a 32 bit server)
2  : On the SQL Server open the command prompt and navigate to the folder where we copied 2 folders from backup exec.
       Example : D:\Agent\RAWS32>
3  : Run setupaa.cmd

SmithP
Level 3
deleted

SmithP
Level 3
its too long of a text string 2139 lines long to past into here is there away to just attatch a file

SmithP
Level 3
i actually reloaded the whole symantec backup exec this morning thinking that would resolve my issue.  it did not.

Dev_T
Level 6
Could you please attach the file......image.JPG

SmithP
Level 3
unfortunatly it wont let me attatch that way it keeps asking for an image and fails when i try to attatch the log.