cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 12 - Access Denied during Exchange 2007 store backup with new Exchange AV product installed.

Luke_Cassar
Level 5
Hi All,
We have Backup Exec 12 (Rev 1364) installed on a Win2k3 server and an Exchange 2007 server which it backs up via the agent using GRT for the stores.

This has been working fine for the past month or two, but we started getting errors during the Exchange store backup. I did just install Kaspersky for Exchange 2007 6.0 on the email server, so I would assume that this is responsible for my woes.

The exact error is:
Note: The Microsoft Exchange backup was made from the active database.
V-79-57344-33928 - Access Denied. Cannot backup directory STORE and its subdirectories.

Error category    : Security Errors
Error             : e0008488 - Access is denied.

This occurs for ALL of the stores we have. I had a bit of a peek through the system and application event logs on the media server and the exchange server but couldn't find anything out of the ordinary. I looked at the article linked from the error log, but it doesn't tell me anything particularly helpful.

Has anyone encountered something like this after installing an Exchange 2007 aware AV product onto their server?

Thanks very much

3 REPLIES 3

Luke_Cassar
Level 5
Spoke with Symantec and they advised that it seemed to be a Mapi CDO problem after some testing.

Their suggestion was to remove and reinstall the Mapi CDO component to fix it.. I decided to reboot the server one last time and try the backups before removing and re-installing Mapi CDO and this has fixed the issue, so we now have our GRT backups of the stores working again.

Let this be a lesson.. if in doubt.. try another reboot.

Patthi
Level 2
I have removed and installed Mapi CDO component but is doesnt work. I could take the database backup without GRT. What could be the issue. Please help me out of this issue

Luke_Cassar
Level 5
Hi Patthi,
The problem I had was that the volume shadow copy service (VSS) writers would crash when doing a GRT backup.

To fix this, in the properties of all my Exchange GRT backup jobs, I had to select "Back up from the active copy only (job fails if not available)" in the Microsoft Exchange section of the job.

You will have to reboot your Exchange server once to get the VSS writers working again, then make the above change and your GRT backups should work perfectly every time. (see attached screenshot)

If you do forget to change a job, and it tries to back up from the active copy again, it will crash the VSS writers, and you will have to reboot before an active copy only backup job works.

Since I did this, I have been backing up Exchange for about 4 or more months using GRT without a hitch.

I hope that helps!