Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 12 and Email Notification setup problem

JShannon
Level 3
Accredited
Hi

I upgraded an install of BE 11 to BE 12.

After upgrading, I cannot setup email alerts. When I goto Tools -> Email and Pager Notifications... I get an error:

A severe application error has occurred.

Exception: System.AccessViolationException
Attempted to read or write protected memory. This is often an indication that other memory is corrupt.

Stack Trace:     at BackupExec.UI.BEDlgs.ConfigureEmailAndPagerNotification()
   at BackupExec.UI.MainForm.a6(Command A_0)
   at BackupExec.UIFramework.CommandManager.a(Object A_0, EventArgs A_1)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.IMsoComponent.FDoIdle(Int32 grfidlef)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ComponentManager.System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.IMsoComponentManager.FPushMessageLoop(Int32 dwComponentID, Int32 reason, Int32 pvLoopData)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoopInner(Int32 reason, ApplicationContext context)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoop(Int32 reason, ApplicationContext context)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Application.Run(Form mainForm)
   at BackupExec.UI.MainForm.a(String[] A_0)
   at BackupExec.UI.MainForm.b(String[] A_0)

Any ideas are greatly appreciated, thanks

-Jeff

17 REPLIES 17

RahulM
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
Run a repair installation and try again.

JShannon
Level 3
Accredited
all set, thank you.

RahulM
Level 6
Good to hear that.

Will_Salen
Level 3
FYI - I upgraded two media servers from 11d to 12, and BOTH had this issue.  A repair install corrected the issue, but it had to be done on 2 out of 2 media servers.  The errors I recieved before the repair:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Attempted to read or write protected memory. This is often an indication that other memory is corrupt.

at BackupExec.UI.MainForm.a6(Command A_0)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.IMsoComponent.FDoIdle(Int32 grfidlef)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ComponentManager.System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.IMsoComponentManager.FPushMessageLoop(Int32 dwComponentID, Int32 reason, Int32 pvLoopData)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoopInner(Int32 reason, ApplicationContext context)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoop(Int32 reason, ApplicationContext context)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message Edited by Will Salen on 03-07-2008 07:24 AM

Jiri_Kvarda
Level 3
FYI.
I had the same problem on all BE 12 Servers I installed - twice upgrading 11d, twice installing new.
In all cases I had to follow the installation by repair. Othertwise I was unable to manage recipients etc. (alerting still worked with the 11d settings).

WingSwept
Level 2
Partner
We're having the same problem on an upgrade from 11d to 12. I tried repairing .NET 2.0 first with no luck. Trying a .NET 2.0 SP1 install (wasn't there) we'll see. I also don't have SP2 on this Windows 2003 SBS server. I realize a repair of BE12 will likely fix it and I'll be going there in a bit. I'd sure like to know the "why" since I have a hefty handful of other servers to upgrade.

WingSwept
Level 2
Partner
Well after the .NET 2.0 SP1 install it doesn't give the error anymore....it just closes the application! Nothing showing up in the even log either. Looks like its time to just do the repair install.

WingSwept
Level 2
Partner
BE12 Repair install seems to have done it. Went a lot faster than I expected too. thanks all!

djmaker
Not applicable
Partner
I got this error after Installing 2 32Bit Hotfixes (the only one unitl 2008-03-10). Uninstallating des Hotfixes doesn't solve the problem. The error message doesn't appear anymore but the application was closed if i tried to configure a email server.

A fresh BE 12 installation doesn't have des Problem.

SteveBurkett
Level 3
Backup Exec 12 here just quitting out of the application when you select 'Email and Pager notification' from the menu. Was an upgrade from 11d. Repairing the installation fixed the issue here too.  Seems to be a popular problem.

BayBusinessTaur
Level 4
Same..tried a un-installing BE 12 and re-installing but the problem remained. Only fix was to run a repair..go figure?

RahulM
Level 6
Symantec has published a Tech article for the same

The Backup Exec 12.0 console stops responding and reports a .Net error upon trying to configure email notifications

Bert_den_Hartog
Not applicable
After a 'fresh' install of Backup Exec 12 64-bits on Windows 2003 Enterprise x64 same problem. Resolved by a 'repair' installation.
Thanks!

kidd
Level 2
I have performed a repart and it works well. Thanks guys.
Wondering will Symantec will release new build to address this issue.

dekelas
Level 3

i tried to rapier the progam , and i get the seem error

i reinstall and nothing happen , i get the seem error message

Stack Trace:     at BackupExec.UI.BEDlgs.ConfigureRecipients()
   at BackupExec.UI.MainForm.a5(Command A_0)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Application.Run(Form mainForm)

dekelas
Level 3

i solved the problem by uninstall the hebew language from the regional options

munchkinbob
Level 2
just wanted to add that installing sp1 fixed it