cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 12 strange problem

goalie
Level 3
Folks,

I am running Backupexec 12 for Windows and everything was fine until about a weeek ago.  I have accounts software running on a SQL database which I was backing up the .bak files by using the Remote Agent for Windows for the last year but last week I got an error to say that Access to a device was not authorized with this edition of Backup Exec.  When I checked it out the Backup exec on the server seems to be looking for a SQL server agent (whihc was never installed) and when I go to selection list of the job this is the case.

I uninstalled the remote agent for windows, stopped and started backupexec server services, reinstalled Winodws remote agent, stopped and started services again but backup server still looking for sql agent on the client.  Even when I go into the job list and try to unselect the client from running it will not allow me to do as it has a little amber icon over the client I don't want to backup.  Anyone come across this before?  I need to get the databases backed up ASAP as the accounts system is jusgt gone live in the last few weeks.
10 REPLIES 10

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
...have you checked to see if the SQL Agent hasn't been mistakenly activated, and that the trial period has expired? If so, remove it and try your backups again...

goalie
Level 3
Hey CraigV,

I checked the license keys on the Backup exec Server and it ain't there, I can't see anywhere else it might be?  You are correct I have a feeling that is what migth have happened. 

I actually have no agent on the client now that is causing the issue but the backupexec server is still looking at client expecting sql server agent to be there.

CraigV
Aha...so then, check your selection list. I have also had this before...I revmoed a server, and it still had references to it on the selection list.
Go into your selection list, and check to see if there are entries for your SQL instances (not your flat files). If there are, remove them and try the backup again. It is looking for something that shouldn't really exist, which is causing the failures.

goalie
Level 3
I did, the checkbox is ticked for the client but nothing under neat is, it is only shown up all the shares on the particular client, I went through each directory and there was nothing ticked in them and no mention of the sql instances.  When I unticked the client and submit it, the job summary still show the client as backing up the SQL instances and the flat files.  I am not sure what I am issing here...

CraigV
...OK, go into your selection list again, and change it to text view (the tab next to your graphical view)...it has to be selected there.

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

Just try creating a new job and that should take care of the problem .
If you want to use the same selection list you need to go to the selection detail of the selection list and manully delete the line pointing to your SQl database.

goalie
Level 3
My apologies here, I was viewing selection list by resource instead of by Selection Detail.  I have managed to delete all of the details from there but I need to reinstall backup exec client on server and try again new job.

Dev_T
Level 6

Hello,

Open the selection list and go to "View by Resource" and delete the SQL instance...

Hope this helps....

CraigV
Cool...just post the progress, and if it worked, you can close off the query =)

CraigV
Any news on whether or not this worked?