cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 13.0 The job failed with the following error: Access is denied. To back up or restore System State, administrator privileges are required.

steelite_Matt
Level 4

Hi, we're using Backup exec 2010 (ver 13.0 rev 4164) with SP1 and hotfix 150096 installed on a Windows 2003 SP2 Domain controller and are getting the above error intermitently.

It always seems to affect the same server (another Windows 2003 R2 Domain Controller).

I don't think it can actually be permissions based as the same jobs backs up 2 other Domain Controllers (one the local backup server and another also an Exchange Server) without issue.

The user account used for the backups is entered as domain\user on the credentials page.

The account is in "Domain Admin" (primary group), "Backup Operators" and "Users" Groups in AD.

We also get the error if the job is run as the Domain Administrator account (although again it's not every job run).

I have tried reinstalling the Backup agent on the failing server (credentials set as Local system - the same as the other servers in the job run which work fine).

There is never anything in the Event Viewer of the server that is not being backed up and just the normal Failure Error from Backup Exec opn the Backup Server.

We do not use the AOFO for this job (it is unticked in the Job Setup screen)

I am thinking about applying SP2 today to see if that solves the issue but I have seen on other forums that an update caused this error on 12.5 and the fix was to uninstall the updates so I don't really want to install SP2 just to have to take it off again tomorrow.

Has anyone had similar issues with version 13.0, and preferably anything else I can try?

Many thanks

Matt Vernon

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

I've had issues with McAfee blocking access to the System State during a backup...the end result was BE failing the backup job. Take a look there and see if this is also the case.

Rev 4164 is an older release of BE 2010. It might be worth your while downloading R3 on the link below, patching with BE 2010 R3 SP1 and any subsequent patches, and then push-installing them out to any remote servers you have. Rerun the job and post back with an update:

https://www4.symantec.com/Vrt/offer?a_id=91523

Thanks!

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

steelite_Matt
Level 4

The only slightly odd thing is that in the Event Viewer the events for Shadow Copy Freeze Start and Shadow Copy Freeze Stop (event ID's 2001 & 2003) show exactly the same time ie 00:45:23.

It does this on days when the backup works fine though...

Thanks

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

I've had issues with McAfee blocking access to the System State during a backup...the end result was BE failing the backup job. Take a look there and see if this is also the case.

Rev 4164 is an older release of BE 2010. It might be worth your while downloading R3 on the link below, patching with BE 2010 R3 SP1 and any subsequent patches, and then push-installing them out to any remote servers you have. Rerun the job and post back with an update:

https://www4.symantec.com/Vrt/offer?a_id=91523

Thanks!

steelite_Matt
Level 4

Thanks, I take it R3 is covered under the license we have for R2? If so can I install over the top (keeping job definitions etc...)

Thanks again.

Matt

Striker_303
Level 6
Employee

Yes you can directly upgrade by running setup and jobs etc would be migrated ..same licenses would work

steelite_Matt
Level 4

Thanks I'll have a go when the link location is live again (it's shown as down under maintenance at the moment).

Striker_303
Level 6
Employee

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Check the DC with the FSMO roles and make sure that it is not having any AD problems.  This can cause AD backup failures in the other DC's.

steelite_Matt
Level 4

Hi all, thanks for the advice, tested the DC with FSMO roles and all is ok.. We've had problems when doing DR testing with re-installing Backup Exec (caused by SQL Errors) so we've decided to try the service pack and if not wait until we virtualise (in a couple of months) and get it sorted then (the backup only fails twice per month or so).

I think the upgrade would probably have sorted it so I'll mark that as the answer.

Thanks again for your help.