cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 15 not processing and clearing Exchange 2010 log files

Tim_Uckotter
Level 2

I have a problem with Exchange 2010 log files not getting processed.

The Exchange 2010 is a virtual server running W2K8 R2 on Vsphere 5.5. The information store is located on my D drive 120GB Virtual drive.
This past Friday I found the entire 120GB drive was practically filled and the database got dismounted. I had to enlarge the drive to bring the
store back online.
The mailbox database is just under 24GB and I have 94.4GB of log files.

I have Backup Exec 15 with all of the agents which you can get when you purchase the product from Techsoup.org.

For the installation of Backup Exec the following are checked:

Online Documentation
Virtual Tape Library Support
Agent for Applications and Databases
Agent for VMware and Hyper-V

I installed the backup agent to the W2K8 R2 Exchange 2010 server.
In the Backup Exec 15 configuration for that server I turned off Advanced Open File.
Under Virtual machine options these are checked:

Use the full backup method for virtual machines that do not support incremental or differential backups
Back up virtual machines that are powered off
Use Backup Exec Granular Recovery Technology (GRT) to enable the restore of individual files and folders from virtual machines
Enable GRT for Microsoft Exchange databases and mailbox items on virtual machines.

I can find no other settings in the backup job configuration concerning Exchange.

So why aren't the log files getting processed?

Answers are most appreciated.

Tim

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Did you do any full backup of the VM?

Check that you have not set the log truncation setting to copy.  See this document

http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO23037

I would also suggest that you do a full backup of Exchange alone to truncate the logs and then carry on with your full VM backups and see whether the logs are being truncated.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

If you're using Advanced Open FIle Option, turn it off. I've had BE 2010 R3 do this...logs didn't clear and Exchange fell over a couple of times until I worked out that letting Backup Exec do a normal VSS quiesce of the Information Store did the trick. AOFO does interfere, so turn it off if you have it.

You can always split your data backups from Exchange, turning AOFO on for data, and turning it off for Exchange and other DBs.

Thanks!

Tim_Uckotter
Level 2

Thanks CraigV, but I don't think I had my full message completed when you replied. Please look it over and see if there is anything else you can think of.

Tim

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Did you do any full backup of the VM?

Check that you have not set the log truncation setting to copy.  See this document

http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO23037

I would also suggest that you do a full backup of Exchange alone to truncate the logs and then carry on with your full VM backups and see whether the logs are being truncated.